Transmission cooler line size on YukonXL Denali?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roadking0678

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm about to do a transmission service and will be adding an in-line Magnefine filter in the rubber portion of the transmission cooler line. Does anyone know the I.D. of the rubber lines? I was guessing 3/8 but wasn't sure. I searched but couldn't find a previous post with the info.

Thank's in advance!

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm about to do a transmission service and will be adding an in-line Magnefine filter in the rubber portion of the transmission cooler line. Does anyone know the I.D. of the rubber lines? I was guessing 3/8 but wasn't sure. I searched but couldn't find a previous post with the info.

Thank's in advance!
And when/if that filter plugs up, then what? Ever had a tranny line blow off? It aint pretty and that is what will happen. The in the pan filter is fine. If you have substantial junk floating around in your fluid then you have bigger problems that cant be fixed by a filter.

OP
OP
R

roadking0678

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
And when/if that filter plugs up, then what? Ever had a tranny line blow off? It aint pretty and that is what will happen. The in the pan filter is fine. If you have substantial junk floating around in your fluid then you have bigger problems that cant be fixed by a filter.
I run them in several of my vehicles, and have never had one block and/or blow a line. Honda's actually come with an inline filter from the factory which most people forget to replace then they wonder why their trans burns up. Most transmission places require one to be installed for their warranty to be valid. I change mine at 10K and have never had any issues...but thanks for the concern.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run them in several of my vehicles, and have never had one block and/or blow a line. Honda's actually come with an inline filter from the factory which most people forget to replace then they wonder why their trans burns up. Most transmission places require one to be installed for their warranty to be valid. I change mine at 10K and have never had any issues...but thanks for the concern.
You said it yourself....So why put a filter inline when there is one in your pan.....for it to get plugged later and fry your trans? NO transmission shop that ive ever worked for or been in requires an inline filter let alone install them willingly. In fact this is the first ive ever heard of the "genius" idea to put an inline filter in a tranny line. Thats right up there with the "genius" idea of Dodge putting the check ball that gets stuck and burns the tranny up many years ago in their trucks.

OP
OP
R

roadking0678

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You said it yourself....So why put a filter inline when there is one in your pan.....for it to get plugged later and fry your trans? NO transmission shop that ive ever worked for or been in requires an inline filter let alone install them willingly. In fact this is the first ive ever heard of the "genius" idea to put an inline filter in a tranny line. Thats right up there with the "genius" idea of Dodge putting the check ball that gets stuck and burns the tranny up many years ago in their trucks.
because the one in the pan is just for huge bits, and I like to keep my transmission fluid as clean as possible. Who knows I could be wrong for using 2 filters...so could Allison.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its your tranny to do with what you want. "You can lead a horse to water but you cant kick it in the *** and make it drink".

And the "large bits" only stopped by the pan filter is just not true. Ive pulled hundreds if not thousands of them off a burnt up tranny and they were full of metal dust and fine grit. But hey what do I know....I only use to rebuild them for a living.

OP
OP
R

roadking0678

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
you used to rebuild them but have never heard of factory inline filters or rebuilders that require them for warranties? Hmm ok. I think i'll keep doing what I've been doing. Thank you for your help though.

Reaction score
Any good filter setup will have an internal bypass that will still allow fluid through in case the media gets clogged.

Look at engine oil filters, they do the same thing.

Dirty fluid is usually better than having no fluid

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dcqkslvr