Transmission leak 4l60e

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jerden

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just purchased a 2007 Yukon 2wd with a 6” Procomp lift on Saturday the 11th. Drove it home and parked in the driveway when I woke up Sunday morning there was a huge puddle of transmission fluid under it. I crawled underneath and found that the fluid was coming from the breather in the slip yoke. Since then it has been to three dealers (It only has 26,000 miles and is still under warranty). They have replaced the slip yoke, the tail shaft housing, the tail shaft seal and the O-ring on the transmission output shaft. At this point the dealership is telling me that because the vehicle is lifted with the nose slightly higher than the rear and I park in the driveway that is angled nose higher than the rear that it is normal for the transmission to leak out of this breather. It does not leak when parked on flat ground but if I pull into my drive way and the transmission fluid pours back into the pan from the converter it starts leaking. I’m not sure what to do next. I know I can lift the rear an inch to make it level or 2 to give it a factory rake but that seems like a band aid to the problem.
Does anyone have experience with this and have a suggestion?
Can I JB weld the breather closed without hurting the transmission?

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do not use anything to block off that breather. I know this might sound too simple, but why not back into your driveway so that the front of the truck is pointing down hill.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Increase the height of the breather tube. This is commonly done for other stuff like the diffs for those off-roading in high water conditions. You can do it or take it to a 4x4 shop.

OP
OP
Jerden

Jerden

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I took the Yukon to Gary's Transmission in Katy. He found that the stock driveline is too short for the 6" lift. It pulled the yoke out of the transmission too far and didn't allow for the O-ring in the tail shaft to seal. Long story short I'm ordering a 56 3/4 driveshat tomorrow. This is only a problem for a lifted 2wd.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Geez that kit did not come with something to address that?!?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jlauto

Latest posts