Transmission problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phantomx55

Slow
Reaction score
Yesterday on my way home from work I was driving my 03 tahoe doing about 70 on the highway. Then out of nowhere, every time I hit the gas, it would just rev. I pulled over and came to a full stop and started driving again but it wouldn't get past second gear and I had to drive 45 with the flashers on the rest of the way.

It has 91k miles on it.

Anyone else ever have this problem?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phantomx55

Phantomx55

Slow
Reaction score
It was a little low, I added a pint and its up to par now and still same problem.

After driving it around town heres what it does:

From a complete stop Its fine for as long as I keep it on the throttle. But if I let off and try to start accelerating again, it mostly just revs. It does this at anytime above 20mph. It seems to catch gears a bit after each time I let off the gas and it jolts me forward some what. It also catches at high rpms, (about 3500-4000+), but doesn't shift into a higher gear.

OP
OP
Phantomx55

Phantomx55

Slow
Reaction score
Talked to my mechanic. He said it might be solenoids but that I will prob have to rebuild my trans..Earliest he can look at it is Wednesday.

I am pretty shocked that this happened at barely over 90k miles. I read around and it seems people have similar problems but on trucks with 150k+...

vansglyde21

Reaction score
I have a 2001 Tahoe with 118k on it and the other day I was jumping on it, shifting from 2nd to 3rd I let off a little when I thought I saw a cop. It wasnt so I continued to accelerate and it just reved. I THINK the clutch was still engaged but I am not 100% sure but I stopped and then it was fine. ALSO My service engine soon light came on and monument said it was the system air bank 2 r something after using the code reader and said it isnt anything important. Anyone know or had this problem? I hear a supercharger like sound from it and after a few miles it goes away...

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you lost the 3.4 clutchpack or have a really bad flare...seem to see that behavior alot when they start to go. If you are able to take care of the trans since the time the truck is new with maintenance, it helps prolong the life. If you inherit the truck, could mean problems.
B

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Talked to my mechanic. He said it might be solenoids but that I will prob have to rebuild my trans..Earliest he can look at it is Wednesday.

I am pretty shocked that this happened at barely over 90k miles. I read around and it seems people have similar problems but on trucks with 150k+...

mine went out in the 60K range :emotions122:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBRKPRO