Transmission Service ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes, piston slap will sound like a knocking in the motor, only for a few seconds up to a couple minutes ( warm up) depending on severity.

No worries tho.

OP
OP
H

Heelz3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks man, Im heading out today at noon on a trip to the Outer Banks. Its about an 8 hour drive for me from the NC Mountains. After listening to y'all, Im pretty confident my tranny will make it.

Thanks again for the info on the tahoe. I think I need a new e-brake pad also so when I get back I'll post to see if anyone can offer any advice on doing that. I've done the front and rear pads already, but never a e-brake.

M.M. 700

Reaction score
When I worked at a dealership, if I vehical came in with high miles. And didn't have regular tranny flushes, or fluid- filter change. We would advise not to do it, due to the fact it is very likely to have tranny problems shortly after having the new fluid put in....

Or if they were having tranny problems, we also advised not to do it....which is not your case.....

suppersz71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hey guys, i just purchased an 03 z71 with 77k miles, without any maintenance records on this vehicle. i was wondering if it would be best if i did a tranny flush right now or just wait til 100k? I rather be safe than sorry and prevent future problems to the hoe. Any other problems i should be aware of? thanks...

03YukonNH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One more ?, sometimes when we start it, we hear like a rattleing type sound for a few seconds just as it starts, what is that? Its been doing it for a long time and seems to start just fine.

Thanks again

I do not think this issue is piston slap like others have stated. I believe I have the same sound you are hearing as well. I believe it to be the starter. It sounds like the starter is being overcranked every now and then. Only does it once or twice a month. It lasts about 2 seconds not minutes like some have stated. I think the shaft gets stuck trying to retract from the flywheel. I have been ignoring it since it happens only occassionally and a starter from GM is about $250 bucks.

ChazMan

Reaction score
I do not think this issue is piston slap like others have stated. I believe I have the same sound you are hearing as well. I believe it to be the starter.

+1

Piston slaps don't go away in 2 seconds.
I hear the same noise from my '03 6.0L with 75K miles, and I verified it's coming from the starter area. In my case, the noise is less than 2 seconds, more like 1 or 1.5 to be exact. Some kind of engaagement or disengagement problem between starter gear teeth and flywheel.

For the trans fluid, I also found some metallic sludge on my oil pan on my newly acquired Escalade. Not a lot but noticeable amount. First trans oil chagne was done at 50K (as the previous owner claims), and I just did for the second time. I sent my supposedly 25K mile old trans fluid to a oil lab for chemical spectrum analysis, and the result wasn't good. Too much lead material at 157 ppm and iron at 137 ppm. Lead debris indicate some kind of bushing or thrust type bearing material, and the iron can be eithre gear/bearing material. I will drive another 1000 mile or so and send out the used oil for lab test again.

ScottL4619

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, mine makes the starter noise maybe one out of 30 starts. It just sounds like rattling when the started disengages. I have never cared enough to try and fix it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52