Transmission Slip or ...?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lowpapasmurf

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have 99 Yukon SLT. Every time I stop and let off the brake to go I get a clunk which I originally thought was a U-Joint, a rear shock loose, or the Axel sleeping on the Springs. It's not any of those as far as I can tell. So I think it is in the Transmission. When It attempts to shift down to 1st gear after coming to a stop. Lately, I have started getting the clunk when I slow down just before I stop as well or instead of after I let off the brake, so I am pretty sure it has to do with shifting to low gear. I have checked the transmission fluid which is full at hot, as it is supposed to be. So my question is... is this the torque converter or something in the transmission? Obviously I am sure I will get some relief if I drain the tranny, replace the filter and fill it back up again without needing to dropping the whole tranny but has anyone experienced this and how did you fix it?

Last edited:

Danny_Z56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normally when i hear the word "clunk" the first thing that comes to mind is a worn out U-joint.

I thought both my U-joints were fine too untill i had my tranny serviced.The guys that serviced my tranny called me and told me that i have a front U-joint that is bound up and should be changed.I gave him the green light to go ahead and change it.He told me that it could have been caused by someone over tightening a few nuts when putting it in.

U-joints are cheap and fairly easy to replace,i'd start there and see what happens.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dap365