Tunning and dealership issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ABN45

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So after tuning your truck and then setting it back to stock to say taking it to the dealership for some work on it any issues with the dealership saying it's been tuned or anything like that?

I have an extended warranty on my 2012 Yukon SLT that my dealership thru in as part of a program with Navy Federal Credit Union for Vets.

Don't want anything to come up after I tune and turn off my AFM and then set it back to stock for a dealership fix.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on the scenario, I can't see it as a problem. If it's only AFM shut off, they probably won't even notice. It's not everyday that computer updates need to be done. They look for codes, etc. One thing toggled off probably won't even show up.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So after tuning your truck and then setting it back to stock to say taking it to the dealership for some work on it any issues with the dealership saying it's been tuned or anything like that?

I have an extended warranty on my 2012 Yukon SLT that my dealership thru in as part of a program with Navy Federal Credit Union for Vets.

Don't want anything to come up after I tune and turn off my AFM and then set it back to stock for a dealership fix.
I have taken mine to the dealer more than a few times with a tune installed. no issue they don't even see it.
so unless you are trying to make it go into v4 mode and it has a tune to prevent that then you have nothing to worry about, they don't "check" it

OP
OP
ABN45

ABN45

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I figured as such. Just wanted to make sure was all.
I figured it was the same as my 2015 Silverado 2500HD and it's tuning process and putting it back to stock and being no trace of it.

My plan is to finish tuning my Silverado, then buy the extra auto license and get to work on the Yukon with a custom tune.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after tuning your truck and then setting it back to stock to say taking it to the dealership for some work on it,
any issues with the dealership saying it's been tuned or anything like that?
1st. You think it's necessary to return your ecm & tcm to GM OE before bringing it to stealership for 'work on it'?
It's yours, NOT theirs. This should go without writing, except you seemed to need to read it again - hopefully this was not the first time you've read this.

2nd. If for whatever reason GM was going to write anything to your ecm and/or tcm,
a dealership would not (ahem) CANNOT read it first.
They would simply overwrite it.
Who inflicted upon you the impression that any dealership even has the ability, much less the prerogative, to read your pcm?
Navy Federal is AWESOME.
IFF the dealership overwrites your tune -
which they will NEVER read first, gottdamnt -
just read their newer revised update of the GM OE files for your vehicle,
then decide whether or not you want to put in your old tune, or apply your tune to the newer revised update.

justchecking

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
We have seen instructions to dealers how to determine if a tune (or non gm files) have been installed. What happens if there is a catastrophic failure and the ins company wants a check done? It says right in the ins paperwork no tuning mods (at least mine does). I'm just curious....

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have seen instructions to dealers how to determine if a tune (or non gm files) have been installed.
So am I - I'd LOVE to see these instructions to dealers.
Bet that it involves driving the vehicle, or testing the vehicle itself in some way,
as the dealership has no way of reading out your pcm.
The state emissions check does not read out / download your pcm either.
They can only check checksums and CVNs.

I guess if they wanted to, they could compare your vehicle with your (tuned?) pcm, then compare it to their 'GM OE' pcm.
If your pcm is either much more fun to drive, or much LESS fun to drive, then your pcm is tuned?
(I do know a few people who tuned their pcms for hypermiling purposes.)
What happens if there is a catastrophic failure and the ins company wants a check done?
It says right in the ins paperwork no tuning mods (at least mine does). I'm just curious ...
There is no catastrophic failure that could possibly be caused by a properly written tune.
If the insurance company is going to use HPTuners or EFI Live to download the contents of your pcm after a crash or something,
why are you still insured by that outfit?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V6wells