Uneven Brake wear on rotor, pulls to the right.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YUOnDaGround

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever notice that your brake rotor surface isn't totally shinny? Yes a very general question but here's what is going on.

1. When I apply brakes at any pressure it pulls to the right.

2. There is a rust ring (much the same as if you were to leave your truck sitting for about a week) on the inner portion of both front and rear left side calipers. - This means that the brake pad is not contacting the inner most portion of the brake rotor.

Has anyone else had to deal with this before? If so what was the fix? Thanks for your time.

Bruce

Thumper8302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when was the last time u replaced ur rotors and pads? or even resurfaces ur rotors?

firebane

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
incorrect torquing or over torquing lug nuts can cause premature rotor warp.

Thumper8302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New rotors and pads put on by a local shop about 2 months ago.

id take it back to the shop asap... im sure there is some kind of warranty on there work as well as the products they used...... somethin they did def isnt right

OP
OP
YUOnDaGround

YUOnDaGround

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I got new brake pads, DuraLast Gold CMax ceramics and got to the shop. When I went to take the calipers and wheels off I realized that the last guy had installed the shims/brake hardware in on the upper and lower ends of each caliper to hold the brake pad in place. They are nice and designed for smooth operation and to allow for the pad to move back and forth freely. HOWEVER they acted as a wedge. Every single pad had to be squeezed and shoved into place so much so that they could not slide back in forth. SO only one pad contacted the rotor fully and it was sticking. Every other pad was only using about 50% of its contact path because the pad was stuck on the shim. So I took all of them off and now everything is good to go. My wheels are not as hot when I park the truck and I notice that I don't use as much throttle to cruise.

ghost

Reaction score
pullin to the right

did this solve the problem for the pull? and did it allways pull to the right or just sometimes? My tahoe pulls hard to the right but not all the time.. checked for pinched lines and everythings good. i dk whats wrong

swtz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you get pad slap noise when you step on the brake? those shims help the pads sit in place so they don't move when you step on the brakes. they might have been installed incorrectly or were not sitting properly.
I'm glad the dragging is gone but I just hope you don't cause a new problem by removing them.

OP
OP
YUOnDaGround

YUOnDaGround

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull is gone 100% and the truck stops hard now. When I first got it the pedal was spongy and soft and took forever to stop. Even though the pads were new Raybestos.

No pedal slap at all, I broke these pads in hard and they are fine now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52