Updates on the latest aftermarket parts for a 2007 Tahoe requested

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey all been a while since I posted. I know this is the General Forum. I've spent lots of hours here in the past reading and reading and reading. Such is the nature of a forum. I have a 2007 Tahoe LTZ with over 200k miles. I'm trying to keep the truck nice and keep it running. I try to check in here from time to time and I was hoping to get some quick feedback on the latest of "what's currently available" on two topics:

1) What's the latest recommendation for improved headlights, if any? I have read the pinned mega threads in the past in that forum so I am familiar with the recommended don'ts. Problem for me is I hate the lighting but really want an affordable solution that isn't $1k+. HID retrofit is currently $700 which is better but its still too expensive for me at the moment for a truck with 200k plus miles and other issues that need attention (carpet and seat covers, rear main seal, new shocks etc....). Just curious if any inexpensive options that work and are recommended have surfaced yet. I am just running OEM headlights and bulbs at the moment.

2) What's the latest recommendation for shocks on the LTZ w/Z55 AutoRide? I replaced the original factory shocks with OEM replacements bought from Rock Auto at the 100kish mark and now those have 100k on them so I suspect its time to repace them again. And I'm getting a service suspension warning when starting the truck which is probably more a dead compressor (which was also replaced with an OEM replacement at 100k).

I've priced out the latest Monroe equivalents for the OEM shocks and that's about $800 for the set plus $260 for a new compressor. I'd like to retain the auto-ride and leveling since I do tow with the truck once in a while. I noticed Rock Auto had some FCS rear shocks at $89 per shock but since everything else that is OEM function is in the $225-$250 range for front and rear I felt this was a bit suspect. I did notice someone here mentioned that Arnott is no longer offering a lifetime replacement warranty (didn't know that was a thing) and that GM and Dorman are now offering lifetime warranties. To get the GM warranty I assume I have to buy them from a dealer or somewhere like GMPartsdirect.com or equivalent? And at their prices, which are usually much higher; might be worth it if they actually honor the warranty. The again another 100k and might be time to replace the truck lol. Has anyone tried the Dorman shocks? What's the cost on the Dorman set give their offering lifetime warranty?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep your GM vehicle all GM. You'd be surprised at how bright new OE headlamps and bulbs are. Not Sylvanias and some Chicom headlamps, but genuine OE stuff. My kids, who love LEDs and HIDs, say my bulbs are the brightest regular lights they've ever seen on one of these trucks.

I hear the Dorman air compressor is good from the fellas on here. Others will chime in once they've had some coffee.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I converted all of my truck's lights , inside and outside, to LEDs, and I'm happy with the results. I used GTR Ultra 2 LEDs for headlights, and I really like them, and I believe that cost for them was under $300.

GM now has a lifetime warranty for their replacement Z55 rear shocks, and you should be able to purchase them for under $350 each at GMPartsDirect.com. Go to their site, enter your VIN, and go to the Suspension section. You will need to match the Z55 RPO code and another RPO sub-code, to get the correct shocks. I have the Dorman replacement compressor, and it has worked fine for over 3 years.

Last edited:
OP
OP
thefirebirdman
Reaction score
Keep your GM vehicle all GM. You'd be surprised at how bright new OE headlamps and bulbs are. Not Sylvanias and some Chicom headlamps, but genuine OE stuff. My kids, who love LEDs and HIDs, say my bulbs are the brightest regular lights they've ever seen on one of these trucks.

I hear the Dorman air compressor is good from the fellas on here. Others will chime in once they've had some coffee.
Interesting point. I have been buying the Sylvanias from Auto Zone or equivalent for years. Probably why I hate the lighting so much. Plus they only seem to last a couple of years. Do the parts store sell the OEM GM lamps? Or are you buying them from a dealer/gmpartsdirect.com?

OP
OP
thefirebirdman
Reaction score
I converted all of my truck's lights , inside and outside, to LEDs, and I'm happy with the results. I used GTR Ultra 2 LEDs for headlights, and I really like them, and I believe that cost for them was under $300.

GM now has a lifetime warranty for their replacement Z55 rear shocks, and you should be able to purchase them for under $300 each at GMPartsDirect.com. Go to their sire, enter your VIN, and go to the Suspension section. You will need to match the Z55 RPO code and another RPO sub-code, to get the correct shocks. I have the Dorman replacement compressor, and it has worked fine for over 3 years.
Great thanks!! Given the now Lifetime warranty available I will probably do just that!! Thanks for the lighting recommendation as well. I will look into those. I think I saw your older past from earlier this year. Were these bought on Amazon?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting point. I have been buying the Sylvanias from Auto Zone or equivalent for years. Probably why I hate the lighting so much. Plus they only seem to last a couple of years. Do the parts store sell the OEM GM lamps? Or are you buying them from a dealer/gmpartsdirect.com?
The Philips brand last longer than Sylvania IMO, I used to run the OE type but have been buying the bulbs in the GM/ACDelco boxes from either the local dealers or online wherever the price is right, Sometimes GMPartsDirect, Amazon or GM dealers selling on Ebay. They are brighter and last longer and put less heat into the harnesses.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great thanks!! Given the now Lifetime warranty available I will probably do just that!! Thanks for the lighting recommendation as well. I will look into those. I think I saw your older past from earlier this year. Were these bought on Amazon?
I bought the GTR Ultra 2 LEDs from Headlight Revolution.