Upgraded braking recommendations for Suburban 2500 with 17” rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EvergreenZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I did a few searches and found lots of discussions about what people with 18”-20+” rims are doing to upgrade braking systems on Tahoes/ Yukons & Suburban 1500s, but couldn’t find anything on 2500’s nor what anyone is doing with 17” rims (without adding spacers) … so I’m posting up the ask.

I live in Washington near Snoqualmie Pass and most of the winter deal with rain & slush so don’t want studded tires. As a result I keep 17” wheels on both my 6.2L Tahoe 4WD and my Suburban 2500 4WD so I can throw on chains if I need to.

The braking system on the 2500 needs a major overhaul so while I’m at it I want to make it better than what it started with. Wilwood isn’t an option for 17” wheels and from I was able to dig up I don’t think Brembo is either so I’m sure im not looking for top end, but any other ideas would be appreciated.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
The 3/4T brakes on your 2010 are thicker than its 1/2 ton sibling. The best bang for your truck is the OEM size that are cross drilled, counter sunk and slotted hot zinc galvanized rotors with ceramic pads.

My buddy used the same kit on his ‘13 3500 Silverado double cab ext bed 6.6L Duramax. He regularly pulls a Bobcat & trailer made cement mixer in his 22’ dump trailer on this set up.

It’s the same set up I run on my 09 Esky, Audi & 07 VW Beetle Vert obviously smaller in size.

If you want new calipers they have a kit that has powder coated clampers.

AFAD7FA9-A148-47D1-94E6-4D0BE99AB6B0.jpeg

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 17in wheels on my 2011 and there's literally no room for any bigger size wise. when I last balanced the wheels, I have an assortment of stick on weight sizes, so I don't have to put the long strip of 1/4oz. well after balancing all 4, soon realized the slightly bigger weights hit the calipers. had to rebalance them all with hammer on weights.

better quality rotors and pads are probably your only option. if you don't mind cleaning your wheels you can get some really high bite non ceramic pads to match whatever Temps you need but cermic is much nicer if you can get away with them

OP
OP
E

EvergreenZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 3/4T brakes on your 2010 are thicker than its 1/2 ton sibling. The best bang for your truck is the OEM size that are cross drilled, counter sunk and slotted hot zinc galvanized rotors with ceramic pads.

My buddy used the same kit on his ‘13 3500 Silverado double cab ext bed 6.6L Duramax. He regularly pulls a Bobcat & trailer made cement mixer in his 22’ dump trailer on this set up.

It’s the same set up I run on my 09 Esky, Audi & 07 VW Beetle Vert obviously smaller in size.

If you want new calipers they have a kit that has powder coated clampers.

View attachment 431018
I thought I had read a post or two on here that really liked the Powerstop rotors, but separately suggested against something of theirs.

If I remember one had some rusting on the calipers and the other didn’t like the response from the pads included in the kit. Did your buddy get the red calipers & did he upgrade anything else while at it? Brake lines or the MC?

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
He got the rotors & included carbon / ceramic pads from AutoAnything as a kit for all four corners. No replacement on the calipers though. This was two years ago. He was having the same issues I was having, pad material building up on the rotors causing brake pulse.

He’s taken the truck back & forth from San Clemente to WA State & OR a couple times since then. He’s a Comm pool contractor. I’ve always used Bosch Ceramic pads and impressed with the pads that were included in the kit he got. He didn’t do the brake lines, just a flush while apart. I doubt anyone else has installed that kit on a 3/4 or 1T truck / Burb yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rosun1