Upgrading gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deatrichac

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have just recently started fixing up my 2 door 1999 tahoe, since I got a new job. I have been wanting to add a 3in body lift and larger tires. But i have been told by few people for the amount of towing I do, that I shouldnt since I tow lots of things from small boats to some flat bed trailers. But I have heard that if I upgrade my gears that i should be fine. My gears are stock so Im not to sure what they are, but i was wondering if anyone can tell me what size gears i should maybe do and what it all involves. I have no clue about upgrading gears so i would have to get it done at a shop. I dont do too much offroading so i want gears that wont kill my gas mileage since my gas mileage already sucks (only getting about 13, 14 on the highway) and that wont be realy noisy. Thanks for any help you can give me.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You really need to know what's in there and what size tires are you going to run. Gears are generally not something home mechanics will wan to tackle unless they HAVE too. If they are setup too loose they tend to whine and make noise.

blackcoffee

O.G. Black.
Reaction score
Your gonna want to upgrade the brakes as well if your towing a lot.

OP
OP
D

deatrichac

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yea i have plans for the breaks also. hey what size lift, rims&tires are you running blackcoffee?

Arctic-Rodz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call your local GM dealership and ask for parts dept or service. With your VIN# they will tell you what gears it has. With 3.73 gears from the factory, im running 33" tires now. It calls for going to 4.10 gears. Thats what you need to know before you get a different gear ratio.

New tire diameter (divided by) old tire diameter (x times) old gear ratio = new gear ratio

Arctic-Rodz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cause i didnt know how to look it up on the glove box... actually... i still dont know. It actually says, "differential gear ratio: 3.73" or what???

97yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no its a code...just like everything else...and i dont blame you..i know now but didnt before. if someone doesnt post by the time i get home ill shoot you a pm on how what it will read and what it means

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
humbertoltx