valet key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nj462

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did u get a valet key when u bought your truck?

I just bought my 2010 truck certified used and I did not get a valet key. I really want one so I can lock stuff up when i park it at a public garage. the dealer told me they dont make valet keys for tahoes and i have to have a lock smith put in a new lock for my glove box in order to have a diff key for it... is that BS?

let me know guys.. thanks

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope, no valet key for me ... but then again my valet parking establishment days are long behind me.

I did however recently order one of these with a combi lock ... they ain't cheap but they're great if you got stuff you wanna lock up from a valet or anyone else. :)

OklabyGodhoma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unlike Volvo or many others "Government Motors" does not even offer such an item. Then again a valet key allows them to drive and steal the vehicle and take it someplace where they can use the crowbar and hammer to get into the places the key won't unlock.....geez.

OP
OP
N

nj462

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know what type of public parking garages you go to, but I dont know any in my area that will steal your car with your valet key. That is the whole point in paying a parking garage to park your car instead of parking it on the street and having someone steal it.... "GEEZ"

G17GEN4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
did u get a valet key when u bought your truck?

I just bought my 2010 truck certified used and I did not get a valet key. I really want one so I can lock stuff up when i park it at a public garage. the dealer told me they dont make valet keys for tahoes and i have to have a lock smith put in a new lock for my glove box in order to have a diff key for it... is that BS?

let me know guys.. thanks

I thought I would bump this. It's been exceedingly difficult to come up with a solution to this. I posted in another thread that I was going to have this done, thinking that such a simple procedure would be easily done, little did I know that it was going to be quite a challenge.

I've called nearly a dozen locksmiths, and most of them either can't or won't do this - and I spoke with a very friendly lady at a local shop who said to watch out for the mobile only services, which I was already specifically trying to avoid after hearing that they wanted to charge me over $100 to cut a key. Also, the people on the phone weren't professional at all. No thanks. She did refer me to a few other places that she said were reputable. I will update this if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

G17GEN4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, just to update this, I haven't been able to find a Locksmith anywhere that will do this. I'm going to go with a lock box that attaches to the underside of the seat with a steel cable. Most of the models are only about $30. Kind of puzzled - a valet key is standard on some vehicles that are 1/4 of the price.

Edit: Found a locksmith to do it. $50 bucks =)

Last edited: