Very Hard 1-2 shift, Service Stabilitrak Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brougham

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 07 Yukon recently developed an interesting issue, it will randomly flash up a "Service Stabilitrak" "Traction Control off" or "Service Stabilitrak" warning message. While this warning is displayed and only while its displayed, it will shift very hard from 1st to 2nd gear, the shift is hard enough that if I'm accelerating hard while doing this, it actually chirps the tires. (I've now been avoiding hard acceleration).

I'm trying to figure out if this is an issue within the TC/Stabilitrak system causing the transmission to shift hard, or a transmission issue causing the warning messages to come up.

Has anyone run into this before?

I had a local transmission shop that I've used for years, look at it quickly and they're stumped, no errors from the control modules other then that the Stabilitrak was disabled.

I'm going to start by checking all my wheel sensor wiring this weekend, if I don't find something obvious I guess I will have take it back into the shop for them to tear into.

Any suggestions as to what would cause this? Perhaps problem areas I should look into?

(I've searched the forum and could not come up with anything specific, just different trans problems causing a similar error message on an older model)

Metro

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the same issue happen to my 2007 Yukon Denali. It also wouldn't allow me shift into reverse. I had it towed to the dealer and they saw the error codes (Stabiltrak Off, Service Stabilitrak, Traction Control Off, Service Traction Control) but it went away as quickly as it happened. It has happened a few times since and If I drive it for about 20 minutes and the let it sit for 20 min, it goes away.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Similar issues. Took it to the dealer and it was a bad front wheel bearing sensor. The entire hub had to be replaced thankfully under the 5yr/100000 mile powertrain warranty.

OP
OP
B

Brougham

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Interesting, mine will come and go while I'm driving, mostly disappears while on the highway. I haven't had any problems with reverse though.

---------- Post added at 09:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 AM ----------

Similar issues. Took it to the dealer and it was a bad front wheel bearing sensor. The entire hub had to be replaced thankfully under the 5yr/100000 mile powertrain warranty.

I'm hoping its something similar, was your entire bearing gone or just the sensor? I know they don't sell them seperatly, but it'd help me track down the issue, I'm still hoping it just a broken wire from the sensor, those bearing hub assemblies are pricey.

OP
OP
B

Brougham

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Possible resolution to this problem, recharged the battery!

When this problem started I'd been practically living in my Yukon for a week on a jobsite, running power inverters to charge laptops, a cel booster going constantly, recharging phones etc. etc.
I just attributed the issues I was having to extremely rough roads, copius amounts of mud and water that I had to drive through to work everyday (yes, I actually use and abuse this thing on a daily basis).

I didn't always have the truck running and a couple of times completely drained the battery, had to get boosted to restart it. I think because of this my battery wasn't holding charge properly anymore, so, I put it on the charger over night. I've put about 50miles on it so far today with no issues, the problem would usually show up after 2-3 miles.

I've got a couple hundred more to go, so, we'll see what happens.

To those of you more technically minded, does this make any sense as a cause/solution??
Would inadequate voltage to the TC system cause this?

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't make sense because once the engine is started, the alternator should be providing power. If it works, great.

To answer your previous question, the front hub and wheel bearing sensor were both replaced even though they determined it was just the sensor. You would think that if they could have only replaced the sensor (under warranty) then that's all they would have done.

Sneffels

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 07 Yukon recently developed an interesting issue, it will randomly flash up a "Service Stabilitrak" "Traction Control off" or "Service Stabilitrak" warning message. While this warning is displayed and only while its displayed, it will shift very hard from 1st to 2nd gear, the shift is hard enough that if I'm accelerating hard while doing this, it actually chirps the tires. QUOTE]

For the last 2 or 3 years I have had this same problem with my 07 Tahoe. I'ts been to the dealer twice and they cannot tell me what's wrong.

Is there any new information on this problem?

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 07 Yukon recently developed an interesting issue, it will randomly flash up a "Service Stabilitrak" "Traction Control off" or "Service Stabilitrak" warning message. While this warning is displayed and only while its displayed, it will shift very hard from 1st to 2nd gear, the shift is hard enough that if I'm accelerating hard while doing this, it actually chirps the tires. QUOTE]

For the last 2 or 3 years I have had this same problem with my 07 Tahoe. I'ts been to the dealer twice and they cannot tell me what's wrong.

Is there any new information on this problem?

Sneffels,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your Tahoe. Have you spoken with Chevrolet Customer Assistance about this yet?

Thank you!

Elizabeth, GM Customer Service

Sneffels

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Elizabeth,

Per your suggestion, I contacted GM Customer Assistance.

They told me that there are no service bulletins regarding this issue and that I should try to take it to the dealer immediately when the problem occurs. Right... If the problem wasn't so intermittent I would have done that by now.

The best news that came out of the conversation was that my extented warranty doesn't expire until 2012. So I guess, I'll just keep driving and hope that something "breaks" before the warranty expires. Or maybe I can try to get the dealership to look for the wheel bearing sensor problems mentioned in an earlier post.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Elizabeth,

Per your suggestion, I contacted GM Customer Assistance.

They told me that there are no service bulletins regarding this issue and that I should try to take it to the dealer immediately when the problem occurs. Right... If the problem wasn't so intermittent I would have done that by now.

The best news that came out of the conversation was that my extented warranty doesn't expire until 2012. So I guess, I'll just keep driving and hope that something "breaks" before the warranty expires. Or maybe I can try to get the dealership to look for the wheel bearing sensor problems mentioned in an earlier post.

Sneffels,

Please let me know if the issue does happen again. If it does, I encourage you to get it into the dealership as soon as possible. Is there a specific time when you experience this issue?

Thank you!

Elizabeth, GM Customer Service

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968