Vibrations at 65+ mph - 2003 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, if they're that old you may not want to waste money trying to index them. There's a good chance they won't be correctable. I'd save that money for some good Michelins (LTX M/S is the best riding tire). Also, many government agencies and some auto companies recommend replacing tires after six years.

Last edited:

CEN2MENTAL95

Banned
Reaction score
Wow, if they're that old you may not want to waste money trying to index them. There's a good chance they won't be correctable. I'd save that money for some good Michelins (LTX M/S is the best riding tire). Also, many government agencies and some auto companies recommend replacing tires after six years.

^^this.....basically tires can expire as well....6years is the limit

OP
OP
D

DMSchuler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What a day. Decided to go for the new tires - Best case solves the vibration problem and gets me a safer ride. Worst case just a safer ride.

The truck does roll noticeable smoother with the new tires, but looks like I hit worst case. The vibration is still there. Not pissed, but disappointed.

Probably target the u-joints next...

:emotions122:

CEN2MENTAL95

Banned
Reaction score
and once again...were they ROAD FORCE balanced?

not just a regular wheel balancer that spins the wheel, gives a # and u throw the weight on the wheel.

this has a PC or computer attached to it with an LCD flat screen with a readout of tire run-in , run-out, load, road force etc and THEN tell u EXACTLY where to place the weights (ONLY ON THE INSIDE OF THE RIM for a static balance!)

VERY FEW shops have this $40,000 machine...you need to go to the dealer (best) or a speciality rim shop

OP
OP
D

DMSchuler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Went with the Michelin's as recommended by 91RS.

Point taken on the road force balance - I don't think the shop had that machine, but they have been in business for over 25 years. I'll consider taking it to the dealer for this service, but I have never ran into a situation like this. I have had many sets of tires installed on the various vehicles I've owned over the years. Seems odd that the condition is exactly the same as before replacing the tires. Maybe I'm being naive, but I'd expect something different. Guess I'm a bit frustrated with the situation.

I definitely appreciate everyone's input & knowledge though!

CEN2MENTAL95

Banned
Reaction score
Went with the Michelin's as recommended by 91RS.

Point taken on the road force balance - I don't think the shop had that machine, but they have been in business for over 25 years. I'll consider taking it to the dealer for this service, but I have never ran into a situation like this. I have had many sets of tires installed on the various vehicles I've owned over the years. Seems odd that the condition is exactly the same as before replacing the tires. Maybe I'm being naive, but I'd expect something different. Guess I'm a bit frustrated with the situation.

I definitely appreciate everyone's input & knowledge though!

i understand completely...had this issue with my 95 Acura Legend....it ended up to be a multitude of things, but ONE of which was the lack of road force balancing....

some cars/trucks just NEED it...my 97 buick riviera or my current 06 prius didn't.....everything else I own currently does..

but NY roads aren't kind either...you feel EVERY crevice and crack and pothole so wheel balance matters

scottg918514

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 on balance

Tire balance, had same issue in December, tire balance fixed. Tires were only a year old, and balanced when installed, but they did inside wheel weights. The second shop did outside weights and the mechanic said for some reason balance with weights on the outside works better.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might have missed it, but how many miles are on the truck? I assume that when you had the tie-rods checked they would have also checked the wheel bearings for being loose as well. I just looked back on the first page, and noticed you said the tires were 245/75/16, did you change them out with the correct size - 265/70/16? It very well could be a u-joint, you might need to get them checked out. I forget you're in NY and that salt gets everywhere and does causing things to fail faster than down here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DMSchuler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Truck has about 151,000 on it. I now have the correct size - 265/70R16.

Wheel bearings seem tight - no play, no howling, no noise that would indicate bearings. everything seems really tight now that the tie rods are replaced.

u-joints are easy enough. I'll replace the rear drive shaft u-joints first, see if that fixes it, and then move to the front if needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chevy100