Vibrations at 65+ mph - 2003 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would just take out the drive shafts and feel if one has more resistance to it than the rest. If the problem is a u-joint, it's probably only one.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Where's the vibration coming from? Front, back, left, right? Can you tell? Usually with off-balance tires you can at least narrow it down to front or back. Has anyone checked your brakes? Warped rotors? Hubs?

OP
OP
D

DMSchuler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did the rear brakes around 5K miles ago. Definitely not warped rotors - I know that feeling :)

Just got the rear drive shaft out. Definitely the rear u-joint. I'll post a video of it once I'm done. Really don't know how I missed it - no movement at all unless I use excessive force. Also has a very slight amount of play - barely perceptible unless I hold the yoke firmly as I move the drive shaft.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't take much. Glad you got it figured out. Even though the tie-rods and tires weren't THE problem, at least they weren't a waste of money. Now you should have a very good riding and driving safe truck.

OP
OP
D

DMSchuler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just got back from a long vibration free ride! Between the tires, tie rods, and u-joint, it is is incredibly smooth. Acceleration and shifting seem smoother too.

I figured I'd spare everyone the video, but here is a pic of what I found in the one cap on the bad u-joint. Amazing the thing even moved...

Many thanks to everyone on the thread for your input - much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMAG0442.jpg
    IMAG0442.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 42

Justin Jacobson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Trying not to revive a dead horse but after reading all the posts I'm leaning towards a bad u-joint. I just purchased a 2002 Tahoe LS. It was purchased from someone who had just recently bought it from a guy that I knew very well. It had 22" wheels on it but the guy who I bought it from didn't like them and bought 2017 Tahoe wheels and brand new Michelin tires. (As seen in my profile pic). I had it balanced but not road force balanced. I'm gonna try that but I'm kinda leaning towards it being a u-joint. I guess I'll update you all when I get that done first.

bgtyme70

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did the rear brakes around 5K miles ago. Definitely not warped rotors - I know that feeling :)

Just got the rear drive shaft out. Definitely the rear u-joint. I'll post a video of it once I'm done. Really don't know how I missed it - no movement at all unless I use excessive force. Also has a very slight amount of play - barely perceptible unless I hold the yoke firmly as I move the drive shaft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chevy100