Warm Start Problem and Poor Mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LTC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Posting this for others!- first my 2000 Tahoe started getting poorer and poorer mileage- only 250 miles per tank rather than the 300+ I was used to... then it started having starting problems when warm (which was using a lot of gas up) ... my mechanic was stymied... but I went on numerous forums and figured it out

It was the fuel pump regulator on the driver’s side on the fuel rail. The diaphragm had a hole and wass leaking fuel into the engine and causing flooding. It started fine the first time in the morning cold, but hard to start every time after. To get it started you need to press the accelerator a little less than half way and hold, then start the engine. That will open the throttle to allow more air to enter to get a better mix.
The proof is run the engine for a minute or so, shut off then pull off the vacuum line. If fuel is present at the vacuum port of the regulator then fuel is leaking into the manifold and causing flooding. The regulator is small but may run around $100.
Fixed and no start problem and mileage good again!

Last edited:

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Posting this for others!- first my 2000 Tahoe started getting poorer and poorer mileage- only 250 miles per tank rather than the 300+ I was used to... then it started having starting problems when warm (which was using a lot of gas up) ... my mechanic was stymied... but I went on numerous forums and figured it out

It was the fuel pump regulator on the driver’s side on the fuel rail. The diaphragm had a hole and wass leaking fuel into the engine and causing flooding. It started fine the first time in the morning cold, but hard to start every time after. To get it started you need to press the accelerator a little less than half way and hold, then start the engine. That will open the throttle to allow more air to enter to get a better mix.
The proof is run the engine for a minute or so, shut off then pull off the vacuum line. If fuel is present at the vacuum port of the regulator then fuel is leaking into the manifold and causing flooding. The regulator is small but may run around $100.
Fixed and no start problem and mileage good again!

Nice info, thank you for posting up your findings!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jwaynedoublin1

Latest posts