Warped rotor question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Conor

"Bob's your Uncle"
Reaction score
I am having my rotors turned tomorrow, and I am wondering if it is worth having all 4 turned, or if I should just have the fronts done. I know on my previous trucks, it seems to be the fronts that get warped faster because they do the majority of the braking.

Thoughts?

mdtahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have the shop that is going to turn them measure run out on all 4 and only turn the rears if it is needed.

rogersinsel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having my rotors turned tomorrow, and I am wondering if it is worth having all 4 turned, or if I should just have the fronts done. I know on my previous trucks, it seems to be the fronts that get warped faster because they do the majority of the braking.

Thoughts?

What do you think caused them to warp?

LVyukyuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you think caused them to warp?

Warping is most commonly caused by improper break in, or overheating the rotors. This is caused mainly from excessive braking, hard braking, or water. The last is if the rotor is hot and gets cooled off too fast. I've heard of people using car washes and the cold water doing their number.

But, not to say the OP braked too much, some rotors and heavier vehicles are just prone to warping. Heat is the enemy.

Harry Seaward

Reaction score
Cutting the rotor removes the high spot, and initially they're nice and smooth. But cutting them also makes them thinner and more prone to warping than before. The answer is new, quality rotors.

OP
OP
Conor

Conor

"Bob's your Uncle"
Reaction score
Cutting the rotor removes the high spot, and initially they're nice and smooth. But cutting them also makes them thinner and more prone to warping than before. The answer is new, quality rotors.

The truck only has 40k on it. So there should be no need to buy new rotors quite yet. But I am sure I will be doing that eventually. Also, it is a pretty minor warp, it more annoying than anything else.

I think I am going do turn the fronts and replace the pads all the way around with Hawks and see how it goes. Then, if needed I can get the rears turned as well.

rogersinsel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warping is most commonly caused by improper break in, or overheating the rotors. This is caused mainly from excessive braking, hard braking, or water. The last is if the rotor is hot and gets cooled off too fast. I've heard of people using car washes and the cold water doing their number.

But, not to say the OP braked too much, some rotors and heavier vehicles are just prone to warping. Heat is the enemy.

Yeah. I just wanted to know what he thought he might have done, if anything, to warp them. I want to avoid that on mine. Wheel nut torque is what I watch. Never over torque and always use a torque wrench. I also avoid car washes while the disks are really hot. Thanks for the info. I was more curious than anything.

OP
OP
Conor

Conor

"Bob's your Uncle"
Reaction score
Rotors get warped from riding the brakes down mountain passes or basically doing something that over heats the brakes. Also, it is very common on GM OEM rotors to get warped for some reason. You will know you have a warped rotor if you feel like the truck is sort of surging to a stop.

LVyukyuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rotors get warped from riding the brakes down mountain passes or basically doing something that over heats the brakes. Also, it is very common on GM OEM rotors to get warped for some reason. You will know you have a warped rotor if you feel like the truck is sort of surging to a stop.

Awe come on! I love watching people coming to a stop looking like chickens pecking for food!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pjoe1320