What’s wrong with those tires on the pictures?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xycrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey,

has anyone an idea what might have caused the tires to wire out unevenly? Those are the 2 rear tires. Front looks like normal but back is much more worn out. Not just on the sides but tire tread overall.

Is this an alignment issue or could it be something else? Brake calipers are pretty rusty but brakes seem to work completely fine. Can’t tell any difference.

It’s a used Escalade I’m interested in purchasing it. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5290.jpeg
    IMG_5290.jpeg
    326.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5289.jpeg
    IMG_5289.jpeg
    393.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5288.jpeg
    IMG_5288.jpeg
    319.6 KB · Views: 9

buckwild27

Reaction score
Hey,

has anyone an idea what might have caused the tires to wire out unevenly? Those are the 2 rear tires. Front looks like normal but back is much more worn out. Not just on the sides but tire tread overall.

Is this an alignment issue or could it be something else? Brake calipers are pretty rusty but brakes seem to work completely fine. Can’t tell any difference.

It’s a used Escalade I’m interested in purchasing it. Thanks
Those are old ass tires. It's basically dry rotting. New tires are a top priority on that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
X

xycrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. But why is it that they are worn out more than the front tires? Because they drove in 2WD Mode all the time? That wouldn’t explain why the sides look like this though

buckwild27

Reaction score
I agree. But why is it that they are worn out more than the front tires? Because they drove in 2WD Mode all the time? That wouldn’t explain why the sides look like this though
Most likely didn't rotate them regularly. If I corner to hard regularly in the truck it chews up the edges of the tires. And I'm guessing the back tires used to be on the front. Or they have spent their life very under inflated. To rub off the edges.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those tires spent too much time up front at one time and wore like that. They are past the end of their service life, they are dry rotted out. Tires like that could come apart unexpectedly but I have seen much worse on the road. Most manufacturers only warrant them for the mileage they set or six years. Down here in the lower half of Florida, they look like that after about 4 years and it's time to go regardless of the mileage.

Rotate your tires at every oil change.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those tires spent too much time up front at one time and wore like that. They are past the end of their service life, they are dry rotted out. Tires like that could come apart unexpectedly but I have seen much worse on the road. Most manufacturers only warrant them for the mileage they set or six years. Down here in the lower half of Florida, they look like that after about 4 years and it's time to go regardless of the mileage.

Rotate your tires at every oil change.

If you follow the oil life monitor, the tires need to be rotated much more often than that.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to mention those stock tires are the junkiest tires available. They should be gotten rid of at the first moment. Tell the dealer that you want these tires replaced or you won't buy it. It's the first thing you'll do if you do buy it.

GMCnewbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the tire date codes. It could be that they had a flat and replaced two tires, who knows? The worn ones might be older than the better ones.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... why is it that they are worn out more than the front tires? Because they drove in 2WD Mode all the time? That wouldn’t explain why the sides look like this though
I drive in 2WD mode all the time. My rear tires look nothing like that.
Those tires were front tires for too long, likely until just before you came to see them, when they were rotated.

At minimum, alignment. Could very well need a front suspension and steering overhaul.

General feeling I get, is this 'seller' is not interested in investing time / energy / effort into
fixing up the vehicle; not even fixing its appearance, to make a sale.

This vehicle likely has several more issues that need addressing before it's road-trip-worthy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gotatahoe