what amp alternator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rockstar

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm running a 425 wat amp for my rear Infinity 6x9's and twin MTX 8's and think I need to boost my alternator or get a capacitor. What should I go with?

dy_lon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Stock alt (105 amp, I think), should be more then plenty to run that stuff, but there is always room for improvement. I have seen kits that you can rebuild your alternator to a 180 amp setup for around $80 + shipping on ebay. To get a close estimate to what you need, Amps= Watts / Volts (Always 12v).

drowndindreams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im running two 12" kicker l7s and i have a stock alternator. you'll be fine. dimming and voltage drops are normal.

Reaction score
^ i think that is the first time that i have EVER heard that "dimming and voltage drops are normal"

brucebly

Reaction score
^ i think that is the first time that i have EVER heard that "dimming and voltage drops are normal"

I think common would be a better word to describe it. Only because most people don't want to spend the money to do it right, or don't have the know how.

grnrpr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dimming lights and voltage drops are NOT normal and are very bad for your equipment..Rockstar for what you are running you will be fine with stock alt but you may want to do a BIG 3 wiring under the hood for 1 and get a better battery like XS POWER or YELLOW TOP OPTIMA either will work that should do you fine....BUT VOLTAGE DROPS AND DIMMING LIGHTS ARE VERY VERY BAD NOT NORMAL.....:nono::shocked:

Reaction score
Speaking of cost, I think i maybe spent $50 to do the Big 3. Just upgraded to a 140 amp alternator too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scunningham

Latest posts