What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just make sure the spare is properly inflated and the hoist is lubed and operating.

Jacking up and changing a tire on the side of the highway, in the rain, at night is bad enough. Trying to find the puncture and plug it on the side of the highway would suck, and hope the flat is repairable with a plug kit. If the sidewall blows then what? A 50lb spare tire to swap starts looking like a good idea
That’s what AAA Plus is for. At $100 per year, I can get a tow up to 300 miles, 3x a year. I’m not changing a tire on the side of a highway, that’s a death wish anymore. They just tow me home if I ever have that problem. I just tell ‘em I have no spare, because I don’t carry one. Neither do about 30% of the new cars being sold today- no spares and no jacks. Roadside assistance is the way of the future. :p

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s what AAA Plus is for. At $100 per year, I can get a tow up to 300 miles, 3x a year. I’m not changing a tire on the side of a highway, that’s a death wish anymore. They just tow me home if I ever have that problem. I just tell ‘em I have no spare, because I don’t carry one. Neither do about 30% of the new cars being sold today- no spares and no jacks. Roadside assistance is the way of the future. :p
Yeah i pay an extra 5$ a month for roadside with my insurance company. Even though I'd change the tire myself probably. I keep this jack in the trunk just in case

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231129_230542_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20231129_230542_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 2

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
It slides in easy-peasy until the last 10th of an inch, but hits a hard stop and won't turn.
That's what she said. Sorry, couldn't resist :p
I bought this kit 2-3 years ago, I just toss it in whichever vehicle we are road tripping in at the time.
I haven't "had" to use it yet but it seems like decent quality for $29 certainly has "everything"
that and a little "slime" air compressor
That looks like a great kit for the price. It has some "bullet plugs". Never heard or seen those before.

RooTBeeRthe1st

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most people would sell their wheels and find a set that fit their new BBK but if your priorities are all screwed up then there you are. ;) :rolleyes::p
Haha you guys can't tell yet? I'm not most people.
I need to keep 17s fit the tires I like for the uses I need.
And I've looked many times for 17-in wheels, but any of them that I like the look of, have too much offset where are to wide.
I don't like tires sticking out past the fenders on my rigs.
don't forget the spare.....
would suck to find out it doesn't fit in the middle of winter when it is freezing, windy, raining, and no other option than to get the spare on...
Yeah, I do have that funky spare underneath it, I don't know why I couldn't just swap it to a regular steel wheel though.
I just make sure the spare is properly inflated and the hoist is lubed and operating.

Jacking up and changing a tire on the side of the highway, in the rain, at night is bad enough. Trying to find the puncture and plug it on the side of the highway would suck, and hope the flat is repairable with a plug kit. If the sidewall blows then what? A 50lb spare tire to swap starts looking like a good idea
Yeah, sharp rocks cutting sidewalls worries me.
To add to the confusion, I used a 36mm deep impact socket.
For some reason I was thinking mine is a 36 mm, pretty sure I bought that socket for it, but never used it. Now I'm wondering.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
36mm is what it is supposed to be, I have read some of the aftermarket nuts are 37mm

Are you talking about that big axle nut? The replacement I bought when I did my C/V boot was in fact a different size (36mm) than the one that came off (35mm). I was able to use the 36mm socket to easily remove the 35mm nut.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Installed the new Timken left front wheel hub I received last week from Rock Auto, in the '07. Had to work outside in the cold because the LR2 project is still in the garage. Took pics of the old hub but for whatever reason didn't get any pics of the new one. SMH. Anyway, while I was in there I found that the brake rotor is wearing oddly on the inboard side, with entire sections of the rotor apparently not being touched by the pads. Yet, the inboard pad was evenly worn, and about half the thickness of the outboard pad now. I shoulda grabbed a pic of it, but it looks like new calipers, rotors and pads are in my future.

View attachment 415342
View attachment 415343
How much "persuasion" did that hub need to come out of the bore?

Reaction score
We get roadside assistance with our insurance and it allows like 2 or 3 tows a year and all that jazz. It's good for my wife and kids if they're on a road trip without me or something, but I don't have the patience to wait 1, 2, maybe 3 hours for some backwoods shop with a tow truck available to get to me for assistance.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much "persuasion" did that hub need to come out of the bore?
I used Deep Creep on the axle splines and they freed right up with one whack with a dead blow hammer. But I didn't use anything on the hub/knuckle bore. Just a few good whacks on the backside of the hub flange with my "convincer" (small sledge) was enough to get it out. Then again, this was an Arizona rig for the first 11 years of its life, so the corrosion wasn't too bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2024 Tahoe Brian