What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about that big axle nut? The replacement I bought when I did my C/V boot was in fact a different size (36mm) than the one that came off (35mm). I was able to use the 36mm socket to easily remove the 35mm nut.
I bought the 35mm socket, and bought new OEM nuts so I wouldn't need to buy the 1mm larger socket (dorman 36mm)

But now looking at rockauto, they list the GM nut as 1.417" which is 35.99mm.

Hoping GM didn't change to 36mm or I'll need a new socket next time...

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced valve stem cores to try and eliminate the worlds slowest leak. Got 3 of the 4, including the leaking offender, but on the last tire the tip of the core body snapped off.

@#)$*(%) *%&)@#*$)* )*$W)%*)*

The core body didn't twist at all, so it still holds air fine, but I was trying to do this operation without breaking the bead, or having to bring it to a shop.

I could snip the pinhead on the valve core, and use an extractor to try and, uh... extract the core because it's just like two threads holding it in there, but if anything goes sideways I'll have no way to keep atmosphere in the tire.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We get roadside assistance with our insurance and it allows like 2 or 3 tows a year and all that jazz. It's good for my wife and kids if they're on a road trip without me or something, but I don't have the patience to wait 1, 2, maybe 3 hours for some backwoods shop with a tow truck available to get to me for assistance.
Meh. 30 minutes for a flat from a nice shiny AAA truck is worth it for me. Those “ included” type of roadside assistance I wouldn’t bother with, they’re meant for selling cars not servicing customers.

Reaction score
Meh. 30 minutes for a flat from a nice shiny AAA truck is worth it for me. Those “ included” type of roadside assistance I wouldn’t bother with, they’re meant for selling cars not servicing customers.
Different strokes for different folks. Nice to know there's a nice shiny AAA truck within 30 mins from anywhere in the USA though, that's worth the annual fee.

What if your tire can't be fixed with a plug and air, is the truck stocked with multiple sizes of wheels/tires to get you back on the road? Guess they'll tow you to the nearest hodunk town to a tire shop that closed 20 mins before you got there and you're stuck there till the next morning? That'll put a hitch in your giddy up on your vaca plans, lol

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Different strokes for different folks. Nice to know there's a nice shiny AAA truck within 30 mins from anywhere in the USA though, that's worth the annual fee.

What if your tire can't be fixed with a plug and air, is the truck stocked with multiple sizes of wheels/tires to get you back on the road? Guess they'll tow you to the nearest hodunk town to a tire shop that closed 20 mins before you got there and you're stuck there till the next morning? That'll put a hitch in your giddy up on your vaca plans, lol
I’m fine with the way I do it, you’re fine with the way you do. No need to argue. You seem to worry a lot more than I do, I don’t do all the “what ifs” anymore that shit drives me crazy. I’m 64 and I’ve learned a thing or two about what works and what doesn’t. I have my shit dialed in, if a guy doesn’t by this age then there’s no hope for you lol. Dude, like I said I’ve had ONE FLAT in about 10 years. I’m ok….I’ve let go of the spare tire safety blanket. I’m a big boy. I’ll be fine. :p

Reaction score
I’m fine with the way I do it, you’re fine with the way you do. No need to argue. You seem to worry a lot more than I do, I don’t do all the “what ifs” anymore that shit drives me crazy. I’m 64 and I’ve learned a thing or two about what works and what doesn’t. I have my shit dialed in, if a guy doesn’t by this age then there’s no hope for you lol. Dude, like I said I’ve had ONE FLAT in about 10 years. I’m ok….I’ve let go of the spare tire safety blanket. I’m a big boy. I’ll be fine. :p
Not arguing, just curious about AAA and how they can be everywhere so quickly, and how they can magically fix all flats/blowouts while roadside. I guess if you don't travel much and stay near urban areas it's not a problem.

I've only had 1 flat and that was about 8 years ago in the 2001. Wife and kids in car, and actually wife was driving. She didn't know what was happening and I had to tell her to pull over because she got a flat.

I look at a spare like insurance. You hardly ever need it, but when you do it's there. I figured the vehicle came with it, it works, and I usually don't even know it's there and doesn't get in my way. All my cars have factory spares, except the 33 hotrod. That didn't come from a factory, we built it, lol.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last time I tried to use aaa we waited around on the side of a toll road for 2 hours, gave up and called a friend of a friend to get a ride home to pick up a truck, just towed it home ourselves. was home before I got a call from the wrecker driver. from what I've been told aaa pays the lowest $ amount of all the services and the local tow truck companies treat them as last place they are sending their drivers.

I almost didn't renew this year. it's 150$ for next to nothing but I've had it most of my life.

at this point none of my cars have spares tires. I wish they did, but they just didn't come with it. used to be able to buy a kit to add one to the yukon but the part number is discontinued and I'm not sure it fits without exhaust mods anyway, so eh. I roll the dice.

I mainly do my long drive thru the night since I can't stand driving in the day time traffic. I'm sure one day that will bite me over a flat tire.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used the spare maybe 3 or 4 times in my 30 years of driving. Once I got two flats driving cross country, but the spare got me close to a town before the second blowout.

So for the added insurance, I prefer to carry a spare.
Can certainly see both sides depending on your preference and locale etc..

Last edited:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1701443246538.png

Actual photo of me fixing a tire on my old Acura in podunk Nevada in 2013. Note the creepy guy standing in the shadow of a telephone pole watching us. I was on a post-divorce trip with 2 of my besties (both women :) ) when we pulled off the highway for gas. Filled the tank, took a piss, and heard air hissing from my car as I walked out. I'd picked up a nail, and as I walked around the lot there were nails everywhere, like they'd been put there deliberately. Then I noticed a tire 'shack' behind the gas station and figured out what was going on. It was Sunday though so the tire shack was closed.

Anyway, since my spare was a donut, I pulled the flat tire off, fixed it with my trusty plug kit, aired it up with the compressor I always carry and got us the heck out of there.

It gets better though. On the way back home a week later, we were driving through the same area in the late afternoon. I was driving, my friend Alesa was in the passenger seat, and my friend Laura was sleeping in the back seat with her head against that same wheel well when the plug I put in let loose with a bang. She woke with a jolt and sat straight up figuring she'd been shot. :happy175: This time I changed the tire on the side of the road and went to an actual tire store a little further down the road to get a new one.

These days I carry 2 things in my car on every trip: a spare tire and a pistol. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tahoe nate