What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wfburton159

Reaction score
Checked the spare tire to see if the secondary latch was functioning and of course it wasn't so I jacked up just the tire only and released the latch with a screwdriver. To fix it I cut off the latch so that it would never stick again. Thanks GM for this wonderful design.

Well it all started with my company vehicle about a year ago. It was a 05 Silverado. Got a flat during work and noticed it so I went out and changed it so I wouldn't have to do it after work. Well I was lucky that I did because I knew nothing about the secondary safety latch and my spare tire would lower about three inches then stop. I think its for if the cable breaks the tire wont fall off. So I was able to get a cresent wrench up above the dangling tire and remove the entire hoist assembly. So then I have the spare off but the hoist is still stuck on the tire. If I remember right there was enough room to get it off and I changed the flat. It had no owners manual so I didn't know about the method for using the jack to try and release it. The mechanism is supposed to pivot and when you start cabling down it should release but most are rusted in place in the locked position.
This is getting really long winded.
So fast forward to two nights ago and I was installing a B&W turnover gooseneck hitch on a friends 09 sierra. First step is to remove the spare tire but his cable wouldn't even budge loose. Ended up taking a sawzall to the cup that holds the center of the rim up. His solution will be to either carry the spare in the box or buy a new jack. It could be cleaned up and rewelded and it would work.
So then tonight I decide I better check and see if my new to me 07 yukons spare will lower. It starts to come down and gets stuck on the secondary latch (about three inches) and the cable just keeps lowering but the tire stays up.
To get it down I put a bottle jack under the rim and jacked up on the rim to hold it up taking the weight off of the cable and cup. I could then use a screwdriver and pry the mechanism over and it released. The first thing I did after this was take the grinder out and cut off the hook so it can never get stuck again.

This went very long but I guess I would really recommend checking to see if your spare tire will lower all the way. I was beyond mad when it happened to my work truck and I had no idea about the secondary latch (no owners manual in the truck).

It has steps in the manual on how to release it if yours is stuck but I tried it on my 07 Yukon and it did not work.
Silverado had under 60,000 miles and the Yukon has 77,000 miles.
So please check to see if you can lower your tire and fix it in a nice place instead of on the side of the road where you will have no tools to fix it with.

CHOO CHOO

BackPagePhil
Reaction score
Did it yesterday but I cleaned the entire interior of the Tahoe. Down to wiping down the seatbelt buckles. Used and entire can of armor all wipes and 1/2 a can of carpet cleaner. Damn....didn't realize she was so bad......found out I'm missing a radio knob on the back controls....:(

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is serge going to do some wrenching???? :win:

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got an alignment done and Mo state inspected :)

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know. Haven't had one for a couple years :slap:

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do feel sorry for you Jacob........

They just never will let that one go.

However I promise to never bring it up any longer.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tcaphou