What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Did you replace it with the metal one from Gruvin?

nah i got a set of OEM T's for it when I had the engine and transmission out.

I also have a heatercore bypass valve that's getting installed before next summer.
I plan to bypass the heater core during the summer.

the bypass: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0989DJLXJ

1699395385048.png

Seems like a great idea.

RooTBeeRthe1st

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pick up one of these - eBay item # 144208517264

Make sure to have some sort of drip pan under the filter area when you spray the aerosol cleaner up on those fins.
Purchased! Thanks for the tip!

justchecking

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Sounds right.

I did the diy, good solid instructions on the site and youtube.

The youtube vid didn't go very far into detail about a mod they suggest you make to one of the metal parts that you don't replace.

Hardest part was getting the housings separated, and then making sure you get it together correctly if you don't pay special attention to the direction of the arrow when you dissemble... lol

But yes, they do offer it as a service, diy, or a core return deal.
SO I was going to do that this summer in the warmer months, but the kitchen remodel intervened. Should this be done when the plastic is WARM or would later this month when temps are in the 40s be safe(for the plastic)?

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
SO I was going to do that this summer in the warmer months, but the kitchen remodel intervened. Should this be done when the plastic is WARM or would later this month when temps are in the 40s be safe(for the plastic)?

What I had fail was the one and only heater core hose+connector that I didn't replace while the engine was out.
It looked like new, so i figured it had probably been replaced before.

Before it happened I kept smelling dex cool.
right before we went up the canyon I was sniffing around after picking up the inlaws.
No puddles, just a smell.
I wrote it off since the week before that my wife's car blew a water pump and lost coolant all over the driveway.
figuring I must have just run through it and picked up the smell + my nose is sensitive to shit.

I assume during the winter it's better.
I always seem to have issues on the hottest day of the summer.
Like loosing the water pump on the wifes buick, and then the tahoe losing the only line I didn't replace!! :banghead:

On that note, the Jeep had some questionable heater core lines.
one of those "gee I should replace those while the engine is out" then a "oh fk that I can't find them online?!".

Right after that happened I just disconnected the heater core lines and installed a loop to the two ends on the water pump.
Now it's getting cold, so a very near future me task to complete. :rolleyes:

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Don't forget that the heater core provides a little bit of engine cooling in the summer. It's dissipating heat while the engine coolant is circulating through the core.

Seems like right into the dash and back area?
with my luck it will pop right as I'm headed up that fkn canyon with a boat in haul.

(that happened to my S10 one year)

Also strange, I lost the heater core in my S10 in the exact same place as the tahoe lost it's heater core lines!
:whymewhyme:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like right into the dash and back area?
with my luck it will pop right as I'm headed up that fkn canyon with a boat in haul.

(that happened to my S10 one year)

Also strange, I lost the heater core in my S10 in the exact same place as the tahoe lost it's heater core lines!
:whymewhyme:
Must be hard 0n cooling system components - like the Eisenhower Tunnel climb in Colorado. When I lived in Colorado I used to see people broke down on the side of the road every time I made that drive.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
I moved the tahoe, made the mirrors flip in and out a few times.
So much faster now!

before it was a short wait, now it's almost switch blade fast. :ehcapt:

I also think my neighbor might have backed into the front of the tahoe when I had it parked in front of the boat last week.
the camera showed them getting really close, and right after I cleaned up the headlight assy.

Now I have the grill poking out just a little under the chevy badge, and the headlight is loose on the bottom.
it didn't show a solid hit, so whatever.

if something like a tab is broken, then I have a fancy little plastic welder.
So far it has been great.
1699467190133.png

I have used it for a few projects now.

Only complaint, it overheats too quickly and won't work until it cools down.
I extended the use time by dissasembling and drilling a bunch of holes in the case.

Last use was about a week or two ago.
I fixed the fenders on the Jeep, installed staples and melted in some filler.
I found I could use an air hose to flow some air through it, and that would get it working much faster than waiting for it to cool off.

Great little tool, soon I need to fix the crack in my dash.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
went out to the junkyard yesterday to get a part for the 05 and saw there was a couple fresh gmt900's in the yard so I grabbed a spare heater blower motor for the yukon
the 07-09 blowers are a different design than the 10+. they will both fit but the older ones use a internal air vent to cool the motor and the newer design uses a vent off of the airbox with a small funnel.
brake pedal pads are a different size also 07-09 are smaller and 10+ are bigger.
and found a spare rear view camera and figured out how they are removed and so I grabbed it as a spare in case mine ever dies
I have read on here before that people say you basically have to rip the trim piece off to get to it but that is not true, there are screws and it all comes apart

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
can't get this p0420 code to go away so ordered 4 new 02 sensors as a gamble just to see $177.00
if that doesn't fix it I will try and get the cat warranted but doubtfull, stupid thing is only 6 months old, the 02 sensors are about 5 years old with 75k on them.
something seems to be borderline the code will come up after 3-4 days right before it should be ready

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrsheyden10

Latest posts