What generation engine will work for a 2001 Yukon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

budmaniac

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2001 Yukon, that I was wondering what generation engine can i put into this 4X4 SUV that has the weak 5.3 litre gas guzzling pig. I was hoping for a 6.2 litre, but it sounds like that will not be easy to do. So, my next hope was a modded 6.0 litre engine. I have ceramic headers on it now. The rear diff has 3.73 gears. I love the suv, but the engine is too underpowered. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I have a 2001 Yukon, that I was wondering what generation engine can i put into this 4X4 SUV that has the weak 5.3 litre gas guzzling pig. I was hoping for a 6.2 litre, but it sounds like that will not be easy to do. So, my next hope was a modded 6.0 litre engine. I have ceramic headers on it now. The rear diff has 3.73 gears. I love the suv, but the engine is too underpowered. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Why not try to get a tune first? Or you could always put a cam in it. Lots of guys, including myself have put bigger cams in their motors with satisfactory results. Whether you go with a bigger motor or cam you'll need to upgrade other parts of your driveline, such as the transmission. Something to consider. You'll also need to get a tune on your ecm to take full advantage of the modifications.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5.3 gas guzzling pig... well a 6.0 is going to be worse, so there is that.
Get an aftermarket converter that has about a 2500-2800 stall and that will help take offs. Then Get a tune and see how that helps. If that isnt good enough, then find a stock LQ4 to drop in its place. The converter will still work with it.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my 5.3l 00 seemed to scoot along just fine, it was no vortec max but I put 320k on it and was happy enough
that being said, you could maybe slap a 00-02 6.0 from a denali or escalade in it without to much hassle
those should all be drive by cable

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your motor probably needs a new camshaft, round lobes don't make much horsepower!

That being said, stick with the same generation, GEN III, and if using the donors top end components, stick with the early drive by wire motors.

It's not hard to build a 5.3 that makes 350 horses at the wheels.

Last edited:

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your motor probably needs a new camshaft, round lobes don't make much horsepower!

That being said, stick the same generation, GEN III, and if using the donors top end components, stick with the early drive by wire motors.

It's not hard to build a 5.3 that makes 350 horses.
350 hp is as easy as removing all the accessories believe it or not. Lol.
A junkyard LM7 with no accessories on an engine dyno makes anywhere from 348 to 355 depending on wear.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before deciding to do anything with the engine I would have compression checked and probably pull the cam but while the cam is out I would install a new one with a little more agressive profile to it at the least depending on your HP goals. Wouldnt make much sense to put a cam and other goodies on a worn out low compression engine. Your 2001 Tahoe came with a Gen 3 5.3L from the factory. Any Gen 3 and 4 engine will bolt right up to your transmission and motor mounts. They are all the same dimension externally. Now of course a Gen4 would need a totally different series of PCM and your Tahoe's wiring harness modified.
If your engine is the original and has never had any internal work done along with typical year by year mileage then I would have to say that it would be smarter money to just start with a core engine from a salvage yard and rebuild it to suit your needs. 5.3L's are everywhere and dirt cheap. Then of course you can always buy a rebuilt specialty long block with higher than factory HP specs (Summit, Jegs, etc.) and it will have a warranty. Be aware that if your tranny is original or was rebuilt to original specs that it wont last forever behind a 350HP+ engine in a Tahoe that is being driven like a Corvette. The 4L60e tranny can be upgraded fairly cheaply during a rebuild to hand alot of HP but if you ever decide to goto Turbo, Blower or Nitrous I would go with the 4L80E tranny.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buddha76