What is the best intake to pair with a Black Bear Tune, I currently have an MIT but I was thinking about upgrading and replacing the airbox

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hate to hijack this but my next fix is a couple of broken header bolts. At the point that work was being done was thinking about/going to do an exhaust “upgrade”. Headers, cat backs, maybe cats. Was going to do it for performance but you’re saying the stock system is adequate to the stock engine?

Long-tube headers will add noticeable hp/tq to any engine - stock or modified - and require a retune to compensate for the increased airflow through the engine.

Shorty headers don't increase airflow enough to add much, if any, power.

The factory (5.3 liter OEM) intake robs about 8-10hp from the engine, but is still as good as any aftermarket system. You have to remove everything down to the bare throttle body to gain any power, so there's no point unless you have a 6.2 liter engine.

Good reference materials:

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 for long tubes. If you really want a bolt-in power increase, pair some good headers with a FAST LSX-RT intake manifold and retune. However, for the cost of that you could get your OEM intake and probably your heads ported, or do a cam swap/DOD Delete and gain 75-100hp depending on the cam. It is a huge rabbit hole to go down when talking power increases.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Hate to hijack this but my next fix is a couple of broken header bolts. At the point that work was being done was thinking about/going to do an exhaust “upgrade”. Headers, cat backs, maybe cats. Was going to do it for performance but you’re saying the stock system is adequate to the stock engine?
I’ve always had a considerable difference after doing Longtubes cold air intake and a good tune I do it first thing with any LS engine I get my hands on
It makes a good difference in stock form but my truck I cam swapped and put ported heads on it had really woke it up and let it breath with the Longtubes no cats and full exhaust