What is this/ (Engine Related)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02Z71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Noticed today on my way home from a long drive that the engine had a rattling sound happening on and off. I looked closer and could see the cone shaped piece was moving around a bit making noise.

Here is pics

Engine2.jpg

Engine1.jpg

I have very little knowledge of engines and I am brand new to the Tahoe. Just want an idea what is going on. I hate just taking a car to a mechanic blindly.

Bikeboy80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like the serpentine belt tensioner to me, keeps the belt tight.

Okiedave

Reaction score
That is correct. Mine went out about a month ago. Easy swap. Three bolts to swap the whole assembly.

On mine the bearings seized and the belt melted away the pulley. Belt was running on just the metal bearing housing of the pulley. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341788755.682625.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1341788847.960905.jpg

OP
OP
02Z71

02Z71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Great, looks like ill be replacing it. Don't want same thing to happen to me.

Thanks for the info, saved me a trip to the mechanic.

Okiedave

Reaction score
I had heard a sound when I started the engine the day before and then again on that morning this happened. I could not find where is was coming from and then I went away in a couple of min. I drove about 30 miles from home and then it locked up and melted away the pulley.

It is an easy swap, but if you need help there are a couple of YouTube videos the show the how to. Just have to loosen the belt slip it off the pulley, replace the tensioner (3 bolts) slip the belt back on..... done in a matter of minutes.

I went ahead and did the whole tensioner. Will replace pulley and then have an assembly on hand of road trips. Just in case.

OP
OP
02Z71

02Z71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nice, thanks for the help. I will have to check youtube for the vidz. Always easier if you can watch someone do it before you.

owner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah, check some videos, you'll do this easily yourself, no need to go to the shop for this minor problem.