What is this part on the cat/downpipe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
fatmonk8

fatmonk8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went ahead and bought the Walker Ultra EPA 50497 for a replacement.

It's not CARB compliant technically, but it looks the same and says it will fit. I just can't fathom spending 2k-3k for one that looks exactly the same and will probably perform the same just because it's not CARB compliant.

Just hopefully my emissions shop doesn't check for a CARB #

OP
OP
fatmonk8

fatmonk8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will still pass i think. There's no 02 sensors on it. It's just a restriction. A lot of people just call it the California 3rd cat.
I actually thought the same thing, that's actually why I asked the forum. I was confused why there would be a cat after the sensors, so I thought maybe it's something else like a muffler or something.

But if I remove it, and I'm in a CARB state, won't that fail regardless because it's missing?

buckwild27

Reaction score
I actually thought the same thing, that's actually why I asked the forum. I was confused why there would be a cat after the sensors, so I thought maybe it's something else like a muffler or something.

But if I remove it, and I'm in a CARB state, won't that fail regardless because it's missing?
I can’t 100% answer that because I'm in ohio and don't have to deal with it. I would think that PA is not as strict as California.

OP
OP
fatmonk8

fatmonk8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can’t 100% answer that because I'm in ohio and don't have to deal with it. I would think that PA is not as strict as California.
Yeah, maybe I'll look into it. Maybe I can just have it removed. But I know since my car is newer then 2008 I'm not exempt from the rule. I guess worse case is at that point I just replaced them anyways.

buckwild27

Reaction score
Yeah, maybe I'll look into it. Maybe I can just have it removed. But I know since my car is newer then 2008 I'm not exempt from the rule. I guess worse case is at that point I just replaced them anyways.
That is true. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before spending $2 - 3000 on it I'd neatly gut it and see how it goes through inspection. I doubt they would see any problems with the exhaust, especially if you run it on the highway at speed for some miles before testing.

OP
OP
fatmonk8

fatmonk8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before spending $2 - 3000 on it I'd neatly gut it and see how it goes through inspection. I doubt they would see any problems with the exhaust, especially if you run it on the highway at speed for some miles before testing.
That's a good idea. I may try that out.

OP
OP
fatmonk8

fatmonk8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cat gutted, also replaced exhaust with a cat back system. No more rattling. Guess we will see if it fails emissions next time I go in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sabastian458