What oil brand & type is GM putting in our 5.3L SUVs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil change ticket from my local Chevy dealer says they use Mobil 1

fr8bil

Reaction score
I considered using the search function, however my thought in posting this question was that maybe later generations of the 5.3L likes a different oil?

I'm no stranger to vehicle forums, and the the forum for my last vehicle (RAM truck) had a 4000+ page thread going about engine oil... I'm sure the oil nerds here will chime in...

Anyway, I am just curious what brand and type of oil GM service centers are putting in our late gen 5.3L trucks? I just had my wife's '21 Suburban 5.3 in for the first oil change. The maintenance record they gave me says they put in 8 quarts of 0W-20 which doesn't seem like the right weight? My RAM 5.7 HEMI liked 5W-30 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (PUP), and some guys used 5W-20. Mopar service seems to go with the 5W-30 PUP.

Thanks!
8 Qts is correct and that's a plus ! For instance my 2010 Sierra Denali with the 6.2 only has a 6 Qt. capacity ! Check out independent oil test results and see if anything you can buy beats out AMSOIL'S Signature Series oil for gas fueled ICE or their Diesel version for the Diesel owners. Doubt you will find one coming anywhere close ! Been using AMSOIL since 1995 on all our many vehicles and never had any issues.

Spoolin

Reaction score
I’ll believe anything that Project Farm says. That guy is as thorough and honest as anyone can be when he does his tests and comparisons. It’s like the real deal opinion with no stakes in the game.

Hn30

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Chiming in with an experience from my dealer. First oil change (21' 5.3) was on the house, so I let them do it. But when I brought it home, I checked the oil in the morning to make sure it was done properly and of course, no oil showed on the dipstick. Called the dealer, and he said "their best mechanic did that job, no way it's wrong". So I brought it back to have them re-do the change. Service manager told me these trucks take about one quart more than is specified in the manual, so he's telling me it needs 9.0qts. I'm due for another change, and surprisingly I won't be redeeming the coupon he gave for another free change.

Is it actually 8.0 quarts for this engine? The last V8 truck I have is a 96' Suburban with a 5.7, and it takes the exact amount the manual states. Kind of nice it uses the same filter still though!

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chiming in with an experience from my dealer. First oil change (21' 5.3) was on the house, so I let them do it. But when I brought it home, I checked the oil in the morning to make sure it was done properly and of course, no oil showed on the dipstick. Called the dealer, and he said "their best mechanic did that job, no way it's wrong". So I brought it back to have them re-do the change. Service manager told me these trucks take about one quart more than is specified in the manual, so he's telling me it needs 9.0qts. I'm due for another change, and surprisingly I won't be redeeming the coupon he gave for another free change.

Is it actually 8.0 quarts for this engine? The last V8 truck I have is a 96' Suburban with a 5.7, and it takes the exact amount the manual states. Kind of nice it uses the same filter still though!
I've had 2 oil changes so far and it's been 8 qts each time. First one complimentary at the dealer and the 2nd done at an indy shop just last week when we hit 10k miles. Just went out and checked and it's dead nuts on the full line of the dipstick with 8 qts

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score

There is always a potential for error when you are using bulk fill gun for any engine. The tech or someone else could have changed the dial a qt, yet the user is "Sure" it said 8 quarts. You can't prove it one way or the other. How does this alleviate checking your work?
IMO there is no substitute for quart or gallon bottles on the bench. When I change mine, I let it drain for 30 min, then dump in the required quarts. It never misses. I don't even check it afterwards. I run it for a day or two and look for leaks etc.then check it..Every time you pull the stick it is perfectly full. At my dealership the diesel techs only do Dmax changes, not the fast lane oil jockey. They had too many mistakes in the past with using wrong oils, etc.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2013 and 2017 GM vehicles, and both says to use semi synthetic oil and one 0-20 weight but in auto stores they never have semi synthetic just brands of full synthetic.

Last edited:

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2013 and 2017 GM vehicles, and both says to use semi synthetic oil and one 0-20 weight but in auto stores they never have semi synthetic just brands of full synthetic.
From 2019 owner’s manual. Dealer uses full synthetic for my changes.

Engine oil meeting the dexos1 specification of the proper SAE viscosity grade. ACDelco dexos1 full synthetic is recommended. See Engine Oil.​

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From 2019 owner’s manual. Dealer uses full synthetic for my changes.

Engine oil meeting the dexos1 specification of the proper SAE viscosity grade. ACDelco dexos1 full synthetic is recommended. See Engine Oil.​
It says synthetic Blend

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyRebel