What to buy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KVacek

Reaction score
Our 2005 Yukon XL Denali is rusting away under us - too far gone to economically repair. We're near (pardon my language) Chicago, where the winter salt eats cars with no mercy. The 93 went the same way.

Based on what I've read here I've been looking for a 2020, to get as new as possible but avoid the next step in "improvements" and more need to take it to a dealer for things.

My plan was/is to buy a southern vehicle, as rustfree as possible, not over 80K miles, try to avoid one that's done lots of heavy towing, and immediately buy an HP Tuner to disable the AFM or whatever this model calls it. And invest in the full Ziebart treatment with annual reapplications, full WeatherTech interior items, etc.

Many people on this forum love the older models (I do too), but there's still general deterioration, rubber dries and degrades, interior items crack and fade, etc. A newer model avoids much of that for many years.

Also, I've traditionally done all my own work but that got much more difficult since a cancer diagnosis last fall. Treatments worked amazingly well and I now expect to be here for many more years, but I have little energy and I lost lots of strength; at 75 it's difficult to rebuild muscle. I can't even get on and off a creeper easily any more. Besides, after 60 years of repairing, I'm ready to let others do at least some of that work.

Sooooo...
Is my plan to buy a 2020 reasonable, or am I ignoring other ways out of this dilemma ?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good logical train of thought to me. I suspect that you and I are on the same path, cancer-wise, and yes, that strength is lost forever.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our 2005 Yukon XL Denali is rusting away under us - too far gone to economically repair.
We're near (pardon my language) Chicago, where the winter salt eats cars with no mercy. The 93 went the same way.

Based on what I've read here I've been looking for a 2020, to get as new as possible but avoid the next step in "improvements" and more need to take it to a dealer for things.

My plan was/is to buy a southern vehicle, as rustfree as possible, not over 80K miles, try to avoid one that's done lots of heavy towing, and immediately buy an HP Tuner to disable Engine Half@$$, and invest in the full Ziebart treatment with annual reapplications, full WeatherTech interior items, etc ...

Is my plan to buy a 2020 reasonable, or am I ignoring other ways out of this dilemma?
What if you find an older rustfree southern GMT900 or GMTK2xx with maybe a bit more miles on it?

Despite salty northeastern winters, I'll hang on to my GMT821 as long as reasonably possible.
In your shoes, I'd be VERY happy with a GMT900 (07-14), assuming Engine Half@$$ was already disabled and the GM OE TCC had already been replaced.
In fact I'd prefer a GMT900 over a GMTK2xx (14-20), unless the price was right.
(I'd only buy a GMT1xx if I could quickly profit off of a flip-sale - too many engines with terminal birth defects.)

ProfeZZor X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the resale value of that 2020 is not an issue, then I say go for it.

I know you're up there in age with health issues, but would you consider a 2021 model versus a 2020 model? No doubt you'll encounter a few interior and exterior upgrades and creature comforts the previous generation model wouldn't have. For instance, a retractable step to get in for those ache bones, a panoramic roof for you and the wife to enjoy the night sky, a push-button shifter instead of the column shifter so you're not adding any strain on your arm or muscles, and/or a 360 degree camera view of your surroundings for those tight parking spaces. Sometimes those little differences make you feel like a King inside your own truck, and you're keeping with the times...
It's just a thought, and something to consider in the long run - after you kick that cancer's ass. :head3:

Last edited:

GMCnewbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can afford it, buy something new and just enjoy it. Despite all of the negative things you may hear on this Forum, and that's OK, the new versions of these vehicles have a lot to offer and are a real pleasure to drive.

Jocko PDX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As others have said it comes down to what you want to spend. I have a 2023 Denali and love it. But my 03 suburban still runs great with 285K miles so I drive it about 3/4 of the time. When I am in the suburban I don't feel any happier than I do in the new $93K Denali. Food for thought...

OP
OP
KVacek

KVacek

Reaction score
These forums have repeatedly described problems with the post-2020 models that make me avoid them. Maybe I misunderstood ?

Can I still defeat the AFM/DFM/whatever without changing the cam and lifters in a newer engine ?

As far as values, 2020 seems to be a happy break between the rapid depreciation of the first several years. 2021 trucks go into the high 50's and 60's, for just one year newer. With a model refresh coming, the 2021+ will suffer more.

jforb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or you could ignore the AFM and just drive the truck. We have a 22 and I don't worry about AFM. A few people have problems, not the majority? seems it mostly gets badmouthed by folks who don't live with one of the new trucks. Which are really pretty nice.

Going from a 2006 mid level Tahoe to a 2022 base level, there were lots of new things to get to know on the new one, and it has pretty much all the features of the old one. Overall, pretty happy with the change. But it was a big chunk of money. I looked for a used one a few years old, and only found stuff that had a bunch of miles and not much cheaper than the new base model.

The new truck will have a 3 year warranty, the used one won't. You can buy a "protection plan" for a used one, but that's not the same thing at all--it's just a big bet against yourself.

Have fun, tough choice

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cason