What to do with the roof of my 2003 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dawg82

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My former Sheriff’s vehicle has clear coat failure, especially on the outside edges of the roof. There are also some deep scratches more towards center and back. Having worked on the front of the hood, I know sanding, prepping and applying spray paint and clear coat is not trivial work. Since it’s on the roof, not as worried about appearance. Main concern is rust, especially with the deep scratches.

Checked YouTube and most of the videos are repaint. Any hacks or shortcuts suggestions? Thanks in advance

IMG_5467.jpeg

blondie70

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the deep scratches/rust...can't you get some Ospho ???? rust killer stuff , then prime ?

ddbow33

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the same problem on my 2003 with the roof and hood. I've sanded and primed both and will be putting Raptor Liner on both.

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yours looks better than mine, these are old rigs with a lot of time in the sun. Throw some paint on any bare metal spots to prevent rust until you can repaint the roof. Raptor liner is a good options for the roof like ddbow said. My roof and hood are starting to get bad but if I'm going to spend money on paint I figured I may as well wait until I can do the whole truck.

Michigan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just realized my roof is horrible but the rest of the body is clean. How bad is my roof and what is the best approach? Anything that can be done as diy or too far gone? I honestly won’t have the time or place to sand it down and much prepping. Can you just simply use some spray on it? What would happen if nothing is done? My truck unfortunately will not be garaged either

Attachments

• IMG_1496.jpeg
    IMG_1496.jpeg
    430.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1495.jpeg
    IMG_1495.jpeg
    306.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1808.jpeg
    IMG_1808.jpeg
    528.9 KB · Views: 2

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just realized my roof is horrible but the rest of the body is clean. How bad is my roof and what is the best approach? Anything that can be done as diy or too far gone? I honestly won’t have the time or place to sand it down and much prepping. Can you just simply use some spray on it? What would happen if nothing is done? My truck unfortunately will not be garaged either
I would just clean it (sand and neutralize the rust), paint it and maybe a layer of rust reformer before the paint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F9thSkynet