What was your Gas Mileage/HP after Losing the Catalytic Converters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YUOnDaGround

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just as the title reads, for those of you who have gutted/deleted their cats or just welded in a test/straight pipe:

1. What was the change in your gas mileage?

2. What was the change in your HP/Torque?

Thanks for your time.

Bruce

smyrna13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I could feel a little extra grunt to it, and it sounded a bit better, but gas mileage wise I'm not so sure about. I barely drove it before I cut em off. Sometime they will start throwing codes when you take them off tho. I cured that problem with spark plug non-foulers.

OP
OP
YUOnDaGround

YUOnDaGround

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could feel a little extra grunt to it, and it sounded a bit better, but gas mileage wise I'm not so sure about. I barely drove it before I cut em off. Sometime they will start throwing codes when you take them off tho. I cured that problem with spark plug non-foulers.

What are "spark plug non-foulers"

---------- Post added at 04:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

Just looked it up, never mind. Wouldn't a Black Bear tune take care of that situation too?

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If your cats aren't plugged, I wouldn't recommend gutting them. Also, I would recommend just swapping them out for new ones if they are plugged.

HMFDZ28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
backpressure is not nessisarily a bad thing. These trucks come with a pretty well flowing exhaust to begin with. By gutting the cats the minimal gains on the topend you would gain AFTER A TUNE is not worth the loss of low end. Just get an exhaust and a tune. You'll be much better off.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
For one, it is illegal, two, the stock cats are high flow cats so you are really not benefiting anything. Most people hate the extra noise as well.

dwmmatt23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got one plugged cat throwing code p0420 i believe. however i live in california and what places are telling me is that i have to get them replaced from the dealer for like 1200. anybody gone through this here or done something else?

OP
OP
YUOnDaGround

YUOnDaGround

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got one plugged cat throwing code p0420 i believe. however i live in california and what places are telling me is that i have to get them replaced from the dealer for like 1200. anybody gone through this here or done something else?

I think that I'd take the $70 per cat chance and have them put on by some body and see if it passes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HIGHHOPES