Wheel bearing noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tlsnokuyeulb

Reaction score
What are the early signs of wheel bearing failure? I've checked the brakes and everything involved with the brakes and can't think of anything else. When the brakes are warmed up or when the truck has been driven for a little bit I get a grinding sound which sounds like its coming from the passenger side. It feels like warped rotors however when the wheel is off the ground it does not spin or sound like the rotor is warped. It's nice and smooth. The rotors look good, the pads look good. I took the abs fuses out and it still does the same thing. It does not do it in reverse which means it only does it with a load. Could this be bearings? However I though a bad wheel bearing would be constant, forward, reverse, load or no load. I should mention it only happens when I apply the brakes. I have not found a similar situation through searching. My dad says his new van does the same thing. But when I took the wheel off and out it back on with about 100 ft/lbs of torque it seemed to go away for a little but then returned. So I retorqued all the wheels and still get it. Then I tried 120 ft/lbs and still the same thing. Only when the brakes are applied. What am I missing?

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

It also is a combination of squeaking and grinding, but more grinding than squeak. I also checked all the bolts, all are tight. Does not appear to be overly dirty other than the normal. No rocks stuck. No odd grooves in the rotors.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lift the vehicle up (tire off the ground for the side you are checking), and make sure the truck is properly supported and chock the proper wheel. Grab the top and bottom of the tire then firmly push and pull. There should be little or no play.

OP
OP
T

tlsnokuyeulb

Reaction score
There is no play. Are these brakes just noisy? I am thinking about just putting some ebc rotors and pads on to see if that will take care of it. At least I'll have some better stopping power.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoeR4065