Wheel Spacer Bad or GOOD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

longstand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was always curios about Wheel Spacer?
cd65_1.jpg

Well you lose Towing Capacity?

Lost of MPG?

Lost of anything?

Tire Wear?

noJeepshere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would do wheel spacers on the rear axle only, ONLY if the rear axle is narrower than the front (ie, 73-87 1/2 tons or 88-98 4/3 tons)

The wheel bearings in each hub are designed for a certain offset, and spacers upset that balance and the bearings may wear on a surface that is not intended for a load. That can make them wear out faster. Also, if you do use spacers, get steel ones, as you don't want to mess with corrosion from dissimilar metals bonding them together.

As you can see, I'm not a fan of them.

OP
OP
longstand

longstand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone has any info on this?

I guest iam getting some cash preaty soon. and i will get some tires, wheel alignment. and Interior is almost done..

Now i was thinking of making the SUV stand out little more, i could see my SUV with Wide Wheels, it looks Great.

Plus i have a problem.. the 295/40/ 24 is Rubbing the wall, i think a spacer will fix this... but may cost other problem.

the guy above. mention something about bearings. how much is it to repair bearing and is it hard?

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have heard of serious problems with spacers, also heard people love them. What are you trying to do with them? Stick the tires out further?? I proper offset wheel will do that.

I personally will not run spacers.

Brandon X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have some little 1/4" spacers on my rear tires. That's only because my fronts stick out a little further and that kind of stuff bothers me. I haven't noticed anything bad since ive had them on.

noJeepshere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone has any info on this?

I guest iam getting some cash preaty soon. and i will get some tires, wheel alignment. and Interior is almost done..

Now i was thinking of making the SUV stand out little more, i could see my SUV with Wide Wheels, it looks Great.

Plus i have a problem.. the 295/40/ 24 is Rubbing the wall, i think a spacer will fix this... but may cost other problem.

the guy above. mention something about bearings. how much is it to repair bearing and is it hard?

The rear axle isn't so much a deal because of the solid axle shaft that spreads the load, but the front I would never do because the bearings can be a PITA and cost $250 a pop. You'd need to remove the brake caliper, rotor, abs line, and remove three grade-8 bolts that will likely strip off and require the use of a torch to fully remove. Having a bearing fail would cause your wheel assembly to vault out of the wheel well, taking the abs line, brake line, etc. with it, with disastrous concequences.

Or have a shop replace them for around $700.

triniguy26

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
what you guys are not considering is that offset wheel put the same stress on the bearings and wheel assembly,there is nothing wrong with those spacer,ive used them on my previous truck and even jumped it with no problem........

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear axle isn't so much a deal because of the solid axle shaft that spreads the load, but the front I would never do because the bearings can be a PITA and cost $250 a pop. You'd need to remove the brake caliper, rotor, abs line, and remove three grade-8 bolts that will likely strip off and require the use of a torch to fully remove. Having a bearing fail would cause your wheel assembly to vault out of the wheel well, taking the abs line, brake line, etc. with it, with disastrous concequences.

Or have a shop replace them for around $700.

$250 for bearings? I just replaced my bearings, inners and outers with races for a heck of a lot less than $250. It is a very simple job.

I agree with what triniguy said.

noJeepshere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$250 for bearings? I just replaced my bearings, inners and outers with races for a heck of a lot less than $250. It is a very simple job.

I agree with what triniguy said.

I see you have a 2wd Tahoe. That makes a difference, as those are old style bearings, whereas the 4wd Tahoe/Yukons have a non-serviceable unit bearing, when it wears out, the whole thing gets replaced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tcaphou