Where are we mounting our fire extinguishers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's also another example of my appreciation for the fact that Mama doesn't freeze or panic.

joe
that's a good thing, I think I have shown my kids to not freak out when something happens and to just deal with it accordingly
in the past years ago I had a couple engine bay fires luckily I was able to get just put them out with my shirt.
valve covers leaked horribly and oil got on the exhaust and caught fire, thought I had it fixed a couple times but nope, I don't remember how many times It took to get those things sealed up right, it was a few.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even before @Doubeleive brought up concerns about how close you apparently have to be with an Element, I had decided on a supplemental unit.

A Kidde 4# BC unit and quick release bracket mounted to the Bracketeer mount I already had.

The Element is now in a door pocket.

View attachment 436046

View attachment 436047

View attachment 436048
I had a white one like that for years until I checked it one day random and saw it was no longer charged, the fire department at one time here would exchange them for a recharged one at no cost but they stopped doing that i guess

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the element ones seem super nice, especially for small sports cars that no one is going to deal finding a full size mount and stuff for them. Just toss one in a glove box but sadly they bearly do anything in the real world. they work mainly by using up the oxygen the fire needs, but if the fire has good air access, like under a car or it's windy. it's not all that useful. there is of all things fire aerosol cans that look to work pretty well for what they are rated for, and easy to store. better than nothing and on a lot of cases the smaller car ABC extinguishers don't actually have enough volume to do much but fart a little at the flame. a good 5 or 10lb is what's needed for a proper fluid fire.

had a buddy with an impala back in the day, he had a shop install a tranny temp gauge, on the way home he's stopped at a light and someone yelled at him his car was on fire. he was like wtf, got out and looked. fire under the car. grabbed his little one, he said it sprayed for like 3 secs, he said it didn't have any effect and he watched it burn to the ground in front of him.

shop installed the wrong hose or something, tranny fluid spray caught fire and it was over. the tests I've seen from these aerosol based fire cans, it's a wet high powered (for a can, like say wasp spray) meant for grease fires in RV stoves. I think he'd have better off with a can or 2 of those. that said, I still haven't bought any haha. keep meaning to order a 4 pack and toss one is the cars cause knowing me I ain't mounting a 5lb bolt in my corvette and that thing is plastic lol. he got secs to get on top of a fire or they are gone.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting to a fire early is the key. I had a first year Saturn Outlook. One with the washer reservoir heater. Sucker caught fire while I was driving it. By the time I could get stopped the hood release had burned through.

I emptied a 5# extinguisher through the grill. A guy at the gas station next door emptied a 10#. A trucker in the same parking lot also emptied a 10#.

In the end it didn’t matter.

IMG_1315.jpeg

IMG_1316.jpeg

IMG_1317.jpeg

Reaction score
Getting to a fire early is the key. I had a first year Saturn Outlook. One with the washer reservoir heater. Sucker caught fire while I was driving it. By the time I could get stopped the hood release had burned through.

I emptied a 5# extinguisher through the grill. A guy at the gas station next door emptied a 10#. A trucker in the same parking lot also emptied a 10#.

In the end it didn’t matter.

View attachment 436681

View attachment 436682

View attachment 436683
Need to also carry a 5 foot pry bar to force open the hood when the hood release doesn't work

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukekuhner369