Whine after factory nav install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mike285

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How much work is involved in changing to the factory nav? I ask because I am selling my factory nav and I want to be able to let people know if it would be worth their time to upgrade to the nav.

OP
OP
MDC9966

MDC9966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much work is involved in changing to the factory nav? I ask because I am selling my factory nav and I want to be able to let people know if it would be worth their time to upgrade to the nav.

If you've already got the bose system, it took me about an hour to plug everything up, run the gps ant, vss, wire, and the onstar add on. It will take a tech about 30 min to program it to the new vehicle.

thats about all.

OP
OP
MDC9966

MDC9966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I swapped in a new head unit dvd/nav/with USB. It still whines. A friend of mine suggested grounding the radio chassis with a screw and then grounding it to the frame, fireway, etc.... to ensure a good ground. Any thoughts guys? Is it worth the time to do it?

EMF Audio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I swapped in a new head unit dvd/nav/with USB. It still whines. A friend of mine suggested grounding the radio chassis with a screw and then grounding it to the frame, fireway, etc.... to ensure a good ground. Any thoughts guys? Is it worth the time to do it?

It won't take much time to do it, but that may solve it.

OP
OP
MDC9966

MDC9966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hunt continues for the source of the whine.
Swapped in a new headunit, still whines.
Swapped to an aftermarket antenna for FM, still whines
Connected a ground directly from the chassis of the headunit to the frame/body, still whines

I called a local stereo shop today asking about anything that would isolate the alternator whine, or if they had would suspect an alternator fault causing it? The guy I spoke with said that sometimes the factory amp going out could cause this whine. Anyone heard or have experience with this? I always thought the amp either works or doesnt' work. All speakers have sound.

One interesting thing has occured a few times now. I have a habit of turing off the head unit to stop the whine because it's so annoying. A few times, I've started the tahoe and while I'm driving the whine will come through the speakers without the headunit on. It will last upto a min and then go off. If I turn the headunit on and then back off it will go away immediately. Maybe it is the amp?? Is there a way to check the amp? I hate to buy a new one and it not be the problem. I really would like to get this fixed.

Any help is appreciated... Also, how hard is it to replace the amp? Can it be removed without removing the console? I can lift out the organizer tray and see it. Just hoping I dont' have to remove the entire console to get to it.

Thanks again,

OP
OP
MDC9966

MDC9966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had the alternator checked. The machine said it was ok, but it shows a ripple. The guy doing the check says that is caused by a bad ground. Something at the batttery or Alternator. Nothing was loose, but if the alternator check says a bad ground, atleast I've ruled out the alternator diode as being bad, I think. heres the readout. Any input is appreciated.
picture.jpg

EMF Audio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hunt continues for the source of the whine.
Swapped in a new headunit, still whines.
Swapped to an aftermarket antenna for FM, still whines
Connected a ground directly from the chassis of the headunit to the frame/body, still whines

I called a local stereo shop today asking about anything that would isolate the alternator whine, or if they had would suspect an alternator fault causing it? The guy I spoke with said that sometimes the factory amp going out could cause this whine. Anyone heard or have experience with this? I always thought the amp either works or doesnt' work. All speakers have sound.

One interesting thing has occured a few times now. I have a habit of turing off the head unit to stop the whine because it's so annoying. A few times, I've started the tahoe and while I'm driving the whine will come through the speakers without the headunit on. It will last upto a min and then go off. If I turn the headunit on and then back off it will go away immediately. Maybe it is the amp?? Is there a way to check the amp? I hate to buy a new one and it not be the problem. I really would like to get this fixed.

Any help is appreciated... Also, how hard is it to replace the amp? Can it be removed without removing the console? I can lift out the organizer tray and see it. Just hoping I dont' have to remove the entire console to get to it.

Thanks again,

It is quite possible its the factory amp. I would try connecting to power directly out of the HU with the factory amp disconnected to narrow that down.

I just had the alternator checked. The machine said it was ok, but it shows a ripple. The guy doing the check says that is caused by a bad ground. Something at the batttery or Alternator. Nothing was loose, but if the alternator check says a bad ground, atleast I've ruled out the alternator diode as being bad, I think. heres the readout. Any input is appreciated.
picture.jpg

You could try replacing the ground wire from the battery to chassis. I could be mistaken but I think there was a recall on that on NNBS trucks in some year(s). They replace the factory ground and solves some issue, I can't remember what. In that scenario, yes, that would be the ground causing the ripple, causing the noise.

OP
OP
MDC9966

MDC9966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never did, I tried everything, grounds, isolators, filters, alternator, everything except pulling the bose amp out of the console and putting in a new one. On a side note, during this time, I tired 3 different dvd/nav units and once I gave up and installed the stock 6 disk changer head unit the whine has been gone ever since. :-( it sucks but it is what it is, I really only miss the camera function for backing up, I may try to put in a rear view mirror since I already have the camera mounted in the back and now nothing to use it for.