Why couldn't the drivers window be auto up as well?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

snowjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Auto down is great, but jeez would it be that hard to make it go auto up as well?

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Safety, folks.

And before you say that only an adult would ever be in the driver's seat,

1. That's not true, and

2. Adults do stupid/accidental things, too.

I don't think it's a bad idea to have to hold the button to have the window go up (and have it stop going up when you're no longer holding it). Inconvenient sometimes, yeah -- but it could also keep you or someone else from being injured some day.

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Safety, folks.

And before you say that only an adult would ever be in the driver's seat,

1. That's not true, and

2. Adults do stupid/accidental things, too.

I don't think it's a bad idea to have to hold the button to have the window go up (and have it stop going up when you're no longer holding it). Inconvenient sometimes, yeah -- but it could also keep you or someone else from being injured some day.

My Infiniti and BMW both had auto up I think, safety isn't the issue I don't think but that's just my opinion.

B

OP
OP
snowjay

snowjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 4Runner had auto up/down. Supposedly it had a safety that would make it go back down if something got in the way.

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 4Runner had auto up/down. Supposedly it had a safety that would make it go back down if something got in the way.

That might be why they don't have auto rollup in Tahoes - prolly expensive feature inside the motor to stop it if it's obstructed.

B

OP
OP
snowjay

snowjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That might be why they don't have auto rollup in Tahoes - prolly expensive feature inside the motor to stop it if it's obstructed.

B

Maybe. Perhaps add it as an option?

My 4R wasn't anything expensive, it was a base SR5 with out many options and it had it.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Infiniti and BMW both had auto up I think, safety isn't the issue I don't think but that's just my opinion.

B

Foreign cars. Might have different standards...

My front window motors both eventually went bad on my '02 Tahoe. So, it would seem that GM's window motors/tech isn't great to begin with. I'd imagine it would cost a lot more money, at least initially, to redesign the motors to include something that would stop the window/put it back down if something blocked its upward progress. If that's the case, then I'd imagine it's cheaper (and prevents more lawsuits) to just not have the windows be able to go up automatically.

Effeckt

Resident Cards Fan
Reaction score
My BMW definitely had the auto down/up feature. The safety feature worked well too. You could put your arm in there and it would stop immediately upon contact. As already said though, I'm sure it would cost quite a bit more to upgrade the motors to that type of motor.

hoserty

Reaction score
There are several alarm companies that make window rollup modules they have the express up and down and it can be wired to every window in the vehicle. They stop themselves with a current circuit when the current draw goes up drastically the module stops powering the motor this is how the module knows the window is all the way up. on the other end if something gets in the way of the window you get the same current increse and the window stops moving.... sorry for the long post just tryin to give you so insight into how the aftermarket setup works i assuem the factory works somewhat the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968