Wood Steering Wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

09tahoehybrid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

A few days ago I ordered a wood steering wheel from Autowoods. I was surprised they had my trucks inside color combo (cashmere/tan) available at a decent price, in my excitement i sort of overlooked the small issue of actually installing the damn thing! lol.

I have looked through the "how-to" videos the company has, and am still not sure if it is something I can do or not.
I will have to transfer the controls (cruise control & audio) as well as the airbag to the new steering wheel.
http://www.autowoods.com/Video.htm

I would really appreciate everyone's thoughts/experiences with this swap.
Is it too difficult? Should I let a professional do it?---if so, then who/what kind of place? As well as anything else relevant or important in regards to this.

Thanks!!!

2aflunk.jpg

Sancho

Reaction score
You can "borrow" the tool to remove the steering wheel from autozone. The important thing is to follow the proper procedure for the airbag removal. I don't have an FSM for this vehicle, but I would beg, borrow, or steal the section pertaining to that- it's not as simple as "disconnect the battery," though shouldn't be too complicated.

OP
OP
09tahoehybrid

09tahoehybrid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can "borrow" the tool to remove the steering wheel from autozone. The important thing is to follow the proper procedure for the airbag removal. I don't have an FSM for this vehicle, but I would beg, borrow, or steal the section pertaining to that- it's not as simple as "disconnect the battery," though shouldn't be too complicated.

For hybrids I think you have to disconnect the battery negative and there is a switch that disables the hybrid powertrain under the rear seat--i can confirm this with the dealer.

Removing the airbag doesn't seem too difficult, just requires a little caution. What worries me is transferring the wire harness, audio/cruise controls, copper horn leads etc. Lots of small pieces and screws to keep track of. Also im not sure what the steering wheel puller does...cant i just take the nut holding the steering wheel off with a socket wrench??

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't help with the process... Wondering if you could tell me how the wood and leather match is with the factory pieces? Would you say it's exact, really, close, or just ok?

Sheriff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents worth..... you don't want to be working around that airbag with hand tools if you do not know what you are doing. This isn't a learn as you go thing. An exploding airbag will ram a handtool through your face and head if you're not very careful.

OP
OP
09tahoehybrid

09tahoehybrid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't help with the process... Wondering if you could tell me how the wood and leather match is with the factory pieces? Would you say it's exact, really, close, or just ok?

Finish and match is absolutely perfect for my cashmere/burl interior. The feel of wood and leather is amazing, the stitching is nice and tight.

15f3yx2.jpg

amdzzp.jpg

Sancho

Reaction score
For hybrids I think you have to disconnect the battery negative and there is a switch that disables the hybrid powertrain under the rear seat--i can confirm this with the dealer.

Removing the airbag doesn't seem too difficult, just requires a little caution. What worries me is transferring the wire harness, audio/cruise controls, copper horn leads etc. Lots of small pieces and screws to keep track of. Also im not sure what the steering wheel puller does...cant i just take the nut holding the steering wheel off with a socket wrench??
Yes, you remove the nut, but the whell is pressed on, so the wheel remover is like a pulley remover, it provides the leverage you need to pull the wheel off.
Just my 2 cents worth..... you don't want to be working around that airbag with hand tools if you do not know what you are doing. This isn't a learn as you go thing. An exploding airbag will ram a handtool through your face and head if you're not very careful.
The hardware attaching the airbag is behind the wheel, so no tools in the way- the airbag will just hit you square in the face if you did something wrong, no big deal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6YLIwzbbyM

StevenFromTexas

Mr. Negative
Reaction score

I'm with you on this one. Why is it older people are more cautious? Hum, maybe that's why they live long enough to be older. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968