XM Radio Rip Off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daryl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good to know. I got the $77 deal last Nov. after my 3 month trial was up. I was afraid they wouldn't do it the second time around, when I threaten to cancel.

gtbigup01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had XM for 3+ yrs for free because of XM screw up when I bought an 04 Infiniti G35 in March 05. It came with 3 months free, and I paid for only 3 more months because i was getting stationed overseas for a year and couldn't take my car with me. So In dec 05 I called and cancelled it, when I returned in the US in Nov 06 and got my car out of storage XM was still working. Instantly I checked my credit card, and no charge so I kind of went with the flow. 1 yr passed no charge, 2 yrs passed no charge, 3yrs no charge. Then in June this yr I decided I needed a truck to be able to tow my bike and traded my G35 in (lucky buyer whoever it is) so now I paid for 3 months again in my Denali since that all I was willing to pay for. Those 3 months went and these fkers automatically renewed me for another 3 months without even asking if I wanted it, so I just updated my profile with and debitcard that's been closed for months. Lets see what happens when these 3 months are up, maybe I'll get luck and get more free radio. Thanks XM. BTW it's not worth it for me they play the same shit everyday all day long.

SabrToothSqrl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol

u guys and your bills! $400 gets you lifetime XM... i did that paid once and done! never again! I plan to keep this tahoe for 14 years + like my old one...

gtbigup01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
u guys and your bills! $400 gets you lifetime XM... i did that paid once and done! never again! I plan to keep this tahoe for 14 years + like my old one...

The lifetime member is worth it, problem is, if this is not transferable (IDK) then you'll run into a prob when you sell or trade a vehicle. You said you'll keep your for 14 yrs and that's good but what about the folks who change vehicle every 4-5 yrs

OP
OP
Denali132

Denali132

Banned
Reaction score
why won't they transfer it to a new vehicle? That's BS if they don't because I do not keep cars for that long

daryl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I never gave them my credit card when I took the initial 3 months free. I somehow got a month free out of them from when I signed up to when my paid subscription started. Yes, they do repeat music, but not to the extent regular radio does. I'll take the XM any day.

SabrToothSqrl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lifetime

The lifetime member is worth it, problem is, if this is not transferable (IDK) then you'll run into a prob when you sell or trade a vehicle. You said you'll keep your for 14 yrs and that's good but what about the folks who change vehicle every 4-5 yrs

I would not suggest lifetime then... although $120/year vs $400 = pays for its self in 4 years... (3.3 to be exact)... so even at 4-5 its cheaper...

and, no unless the unit fails through no fault of your own (not a crash), possibly stolen, etc it is not transferable...

Mauro

Fresno State Bulldog
Reaction score
Those of you who called and got a cheaper rate, do you have multiple radios? I have 2 and they just sent me a letter saying my renewal was coming up and it would be $273 for both radios :nono: Was anyone able to get a better rate for 2 radios? Or will they actually cancel me if I say that :lol: I'm really considering cancelling if they won't cut the price, its just too much :shrug:

jerryp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
XM renewal for multiple radios

I have 2 XM radios, 1 in my Yukon and another in my wife's Honda Odyssey. Just went through this process a couple of weeks ago--it's the same game every time you come up for renewal.

Just call (800) 967-2346 and tell the automated system that you want to cancel until you get to talk to a live person. When you do, they'll ask why you want to cancel. Say “It’s too expensive. I don't listen to XM often enough to make it worth [insert whatever the list price is].” They’ll offer something like $23.05 per radio for 5 months of service, so it works out to less than $5/month per radio.

I'm sure that they'll have a similar offer in 5 months--previous ones have been for a year of service for $77. The whole thing takes 3 or 4 minutes if you say the right things--the people on the phone need to hear that you want to cancel because the price of service is too high--that's their cue to offer a lower-priced service plan.

Good luck.

randyfaz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My XM experience

Guys,
This was my experience with XM radio. I got the 1st 3 months free with as will most new car purchases. So when that was up I renewed it somewhere in the $70 range. When that years was up I used the not happy and too much argument and got another years for $77. That years was up this back in June and I decided it wasn’t worth it any longer. So I just let it run out. Service stayed on for a couple of months. I received a couple of call from a 888 number asking to call the about my account (never stating what the account was for) just to call a 1-888 number. Then a couple of months later I get a letter in the mail from a collection agency stating they were collecting for a past due amount of about $40.
I called and asked what the collection was for and was told it was XM radio.

Supposedly the agreement is that I must cancel the subscription. And since I ignored the vague calls about my mystery account number, I’m liable for the amount. They said they automatically extended my subscription for 3 months as a “Courtesy”. I told them I never agreed to that and it’s a subscription is not a contractual agreement. Just like a magazine. If I don’t want it after subscription expires, I don’t renew and I’m not obligated to notify anyone. The person on the phone got nasty and I hung up. I’ve checked my credit report a couple of times since then and nothing has shown up. I Google the credit agency and found pages of complaints for the same thing.

So I would be cautious of XM radio, seems the only way they can get or keep customers is by deception.

I use my Ipod regularly and would never consider XM again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattmoore939