Your opinion on the lockpick, and USB installation.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zach2011

Platinum Member
Reaction score
My mother and I are both very, very annoyed with the way GM has restricted their Nav's, especially when it comes to entering addresses. So, after she gets her 2010 Esky within a week or so, we plan on buying 2 lockpicks.

For those who have a 2008 or 2010 SUV (can be either 3), what problems do you experience with it? And for anyone, regardless of year model, please post your feedback on it.

My next question, where is the USB port located on the 2010 Escalades (if they have it), and 2010 Tahoes? My dad's Sierra has it next to a 12v lighter/outlet, and closely resembles one but has the USB logo on it. Since the dash is different than a Tahoe's, I imagine the location of the Tahoe USB port is elsewhere.

So, how hard is it to add the USB port, and what all parts do you think it will take?

Thanks in advance.

gbleezy

loves to snowboard
Reaction score
I'm very happy with my lockpick. Had it for almost two years with no problems. It was kind of a pain hooking up the rearview camera and being able to view the camera while driving isn't really necessary but still a cool feature.

OP
OP
zach2011

zach2011

Platinum Member
Reaction score
That does seem neat, kinda like looking out the rearview mirror but on the screen, although that's not to say i'll use it as my rearview mirror, because I won't. Hm. I know they can connect to extra cameras, I wonder if it would be helpful to hide one in the grille for parking behind a vehicle/object.

Last edited:

BigRed76

SeniorGroupbuyMember
Reaction score
you can add an extra camera for the front (which they sell on their site)

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been running one in my '07 and then had issues where it blew out my dvd/cd portion of my nav radio about a year into using it, had the radio replaced and it was updated to late '08 early '09 specs. my current lockpic would not work so I paid an upgrade fee to the latest/greatest lockpic...lo and behold a few months after using it boom same thing dvd/cd portion of my nav radio blown..everything else works fine. I can only think that it had something to do with it, I know others have had issues also...along with some who have not.

OP
OP
zach2011

zach2011

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hm. That is definitely something to think about it. What if I just buy the iPod unlock kit and use that for now? Do you think it'll mess up the DVD/CD portion?

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not know. I have yet to get my nav unit replaced yet...the dealership I use cannot pinpoint the cause...we are going to leave the lockpic off when we replace the unit this next time to see if it makes a difference or if I have some other electrical gremlin.

OT...which ipod pic are you looking at?

OP
OP
zach2011

zach2011

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yeah sounds like a good idea to try it without the lockpick for a while.

This is the iPod one I was talking about: http://www.coastaletech.com/GM_IPOD_LOCKPICK.htm

UNLESS, I can find out how to add the factory USB to my truck, if possible. I know my mom will never use it in her 2010 Escalade, I was thinking I could install that one in mine, but it probably won't work since Esky wiring is different.

Cr8ter

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've had my lockpick for almost two years now on my 08 LTZ and have not had any issues whatsoever. I can't even imagine not having it. Being able to input addresses and watch DVD's on the nav screen while driving is definitely worth the money. The backup cam feature also comes in handy for me to check on the boat and trailer while driving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kkeesy

Latest posts