Yukon headlight switch question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denalibro76

Reaction score
Just wondering if there is a way to eliminate the headlights automatically turning on when it gets dark enough? So I would actually have to turn them on. Just want to have control over what lights are on and when.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just wondering if there is a way to eliminate the headlights automatically turning on when it gets dark enough? So I would actually have to turn them on. Just want to have control over what lights are on and when.

You can turn them off by turning the knob counter-clockwise and letting it spring back to the default position. That only works, though, for that ignition cycle. I have not heard of a way to set them to default to manual all the time.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can have it programmed out if it's really any issue, pisses me the **** off when I see idiots driving after dark with no lights on super super super dangerous. I hit a car once after dark because he didn't have lights on, didn't see him totaled his car and ****** mine up pretty good.

OP
OP
Denalibro76

Denalibro76

Reaction score
you can have it programmed out if it's really any issue, pisses me the **** off when I see idiots driving after dark with no lights on super super super dangerous. I hit a car once after dark because he didn't have lights on, didn't see him totaled his car and ****** mine up pretty good.
I hear ya. I see those idiots all the time as well smh. I can assure you I don’t want to be one of them lol just want to have control over it sometimes

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear ya. I see those idiots all the time as well smh. I can assure you I don’t want to be one of them lol just want to have control over it sometimes
Unplug the ambient light sensor (sun sensor) and put a 600 ohm resistor in place of the sensor, and if you do not want any daytime running lights I believe you can just pull the fuse or simply unplug them or remove the bulbs.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of those people do it on purpose too. They’ll turn the headlights off on purpose because they think it’s cool to just drive with park lights. They’re like the dudes who thing squat is cool.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of those people do it on purpose too. They’ll turn the headlights off on purpose because they think it’s cool to just drive with park lights. They’re like the dudes who thing squat is cool.
eh most of them I see have no lights on at all, it's like wtf? you can't tell your lights are not on? I had a headlight out one night so I put my fogs on only because they were bright my high beams were really bright, cop pulled me over and told me to just the high beams, lol

bill1013

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When it comes to trying to get the daytime running lights turned off through programming the computer part it may not work. My 1999 Tahoe had the lights slaved to the ignition program. If you deleted the daytime running running lights the vehicle wouldn't start. The lights would only turn off if the engine was turned off or it was in park with the emergency brake depressed/engaged. It was originally made for the Canadien market and that was the law back then. I'm not sure if it still is, but ALL vehicles had to run with daytime running lights. Safety First!!