Yukon License applique installed on Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear applique is held on by four 10mm nuts. The nuts are factory secured with loctite. The loctite then causes the applique stud to spin in the applique.
When we have to do camera replacements in the shop, we also order appliques because they are next to impossible to remove without breaking.

okay. this makes sense now...so the plastic stud is what becomes stripped and it's where it meets the applique. Is there something I could spray to break up the locktite before attempting to unbolt them? It doesn't really matter since I'm replacing with new, but I'd rather not break things if I don't have to.

900sub6.0

Reaction score
okay. this makes sense now...so the plastic stud is what becomes stripped and it's where it meets the applique. Is there something I could spray to break up the locktite before attempting to unbolt them? It doesn't really matter since I'm replacing with new, but I'd rather not break things if I don't have to.

The stud is metal. The stud has a "pineapple" type shape that is molded into the applique. I have found the easiest way to remove the applique is to try and loosen the nuts, If your REALLY lucky the nuts might back off. If not they strip the stud in the plastic applique. Once they are stripped they are easier to "break" free. Keep in mind these thin body panels will warp if you use to much force to pull off the applique. Once the applique is removed use a vicegrip to hold the stud while you remove the 10 mm nut.

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've removed a couple of them and they came right off, you may want to try hitting the bolts with Seafoam Deep Creep as it helps lube the loctite and softens it alittle...also try to tighten them a touch before loosening.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So basically everyone breaks their original tahoe one when changing over to the Yukon applique? I'm digging this up because I will eventually do this in the near future.

bauer4567

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so felix... yukon applique, slade tails and 3rd BL, on a tahoe...

we shall call it the west virginia rear end... all mixed up within the GM family...

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so felix... yukon applique, slade tails and 3rd BL, on a tahoe...

we shall call it the west virginia rear end... all mixed up within the GM family...

actually they are G4 LED "escalade-like" tails, but I want to change them to the oem esky taiils lol...

HA! That's funny man.. yea in my eyes they are all just GM parts that fit together. I plan on getting the yukon applique and then getting the chrome piece that fits over that applique and just leaving the whole thing chrome/no chevy bow tie.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked your idea of Yukon appliqué up until you mentioned the stick on chrome.... :Handhake:

With that said, if you're going to do that why not just take your bowtie off and put a plain chrome piece over it rather than buying a new appliqué just to cover it up?

bauer4567

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actually they are G4 LED "escalade-like" tails, but I want to change them to the oem esky taiils lol...

HA! That's funny man.. yea in my eyes they are all just GM parts that fit together. I plan on getting the yukon applique and then getting the chrome piece that fits over that applique and just leaving the whole thing chrome/no chevy bow tie.

Yeah, I have the same tails on mine.

Is that how the slade gets the chrome on the applique?? I would assume that the slade's applique has the chrome already on it... If so, then you should be looking around for a slade applique.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I liked your idea of Yukon appliqué up until you mentioned the stick on chrome.... :Handhake:

With that said, if you're going to do that why not just take your bowtie off and put a plain chrome piece over it rather than buying a new appliqué just to cover it up?

They had someone on here not long ago post pics of their Denali (it was a storm grey one) with the chrome piece over the appliqué and I really liked it.

The reason I don't just buy the chrome Tahoe appliqué is because I hate the over-bubbly shape of it and I think it would look like shit. The Yukon appliqué is a lot flatter / sleeker (not to mention it resembles the esky appliqué more). Plus whether the chrome piece is going to stay on or not, the Yukon appliqué is a way cleaner piece-- with our without the chrome add on. So if I don't like the chrome, we both know it will look better with just the Yukon appliqué.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have the same tails on mine.

Is that how the slade gets the chrome on the applique?? I would assume that the slade's applique has the chrome already on it... If so, then you should be looking around for a slade applique.

The escalade appliqué has a built in circle above it that fits the cadillac logo on top of it so that's a no go. Otherwise I would have done just that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rescurat