Z71 plastic trim removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried a quick search but didnt get real in depth.
So what is the thought on removing the plastic rocker covers to slow the rockers from starting to rot away? As i am sure they trap garbage and hold it in place.
From what i can tell from the underside they look ok right now. And, if i can keep them from vaporizing like every other one i see ( even for 1 or 2 years) id be satisfied.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried a quick search but didnt get real in depth.
So what is the thought on removing the plastic rocker covers to slow the rockers from starting to rot away? As i am sure they trap garbage and hold it in place.
From what i can tell from the underside they look ok right now. And, if i can keep them from vaporizing like every other one i see ( even for 1 or 2 years) id be satisfied.
From my experience, the biggest culprit for causing the rockers to vaporize, as you say, is the way the body pieces are welded. Moisture and crap wick in between the rocker and floor panel and can never really dry out causing these rockers to rust from the inside out. Removing the plastic covers might help a little, but I don't think its a major contributor. At this point, the damage may have already been done and you just don't see it. My son works at a body shop and they see this all the time. Happened on my 2004 and 2007 Silverados as well. Never saw a sign of rust on my 2004 until my kid accidently bumped it with something and a golf ball sized hole appeared. Inside was a whole bunch of rusty nastiness.

OP
OP
Mudsport96

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is what happened with the Silverado. Rockers looked pretty damn good for 14 years old, then the daughter slammed the passenger side door hard one day and a 2 foot section just flopped loose. Only thing holding it in place for God knows how long was the paint.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got my 04 Z71 in October. Everything under those plastic trim pieces is long gone! If it was a base model, LT or any other trim package and had occasional car washes... It might have had a fighting chance against rust and New England winters. I have some rocker replacements on my to-do list. I'll have to buy a welder first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aj124