07 Escalade 6L80 into 12 Escalade - swapping 2012 valve body/TCM into the 2007 6L80

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

jrobie79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's good; bolt those back onto the 2007 6L80, run the reprogramming and adapts and if the 2007 transmission works, then you should be fine for a while. I'm not sure I'd reuse the converter...If you can swing it, I'd grab a new one...Doesn't have to be anything fancy, but the pre-existing converter could be in any sort of shape and fail at any time...

Any recommendations for a budget friendly j2534 interface tool? I see some for like under $100 up to $2k+...

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a budget friendly j2534 interface tool? I see some for like under $100 up to $2k+...
Here's the OTC tool...While it's expensive, not sure I'd trust any el cheapo chinese knock off or budget cable/interface that may or may not brick my PCM/TEHCM...Not saying that would happen to you but at the same time, I've heard horror stories of the kind over the years, mostly to do with the extreme end on the cheap or knock-off scale.

That's what I would buy if it were me; unfortunately I don't know of any others off-hand.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I see online sites that will rent a j2534, but I have no experience with any of them.

OP
OP
J

jrobie79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the OTC tool...While it's expensive, not sure I'd trust any el cheapo chinese knock off or budget cable/interface that may or may not brick my PCM/TEHCM...Not saying that would happen to you but at the same time, I've heard horror stories of the kind over the years, mostly to do with the extreme end on the cheap or knock-off scale.

That's what I would buy if it were me; unfortunately I don't know of any others off-hand.

Will the truck drive at all, in limp mode or something, without completely porking it? Cheaper to just go to the dealer, which is only like 1.5 miles away.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will the truck drive at all, in limp mode or something, without completely porking it? Cheaper to just go to the dealer, which is only like 1.5 miles away.
I would have it towed to the dealer; more than likely, it will be a fraction of the cost to have them reprogram vs buying that OTC tool which you will use like once or twice in your lifetime (not worth it)...

You can also investigate to determine if your TECH-2 can be used to do the reprogram. I think the last year their more advanced functionality is supported is 2013. I've never done any reprogramming myself, only fast adapts using my Snap On scan tool.

OP
OP
J

jrobie79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have it towed to the dealer; more than likely, it will be a fraction of the cost to have them reprogram vs buying that OTC tool which you will use like once or twice in your lifetime (not worth it)...

You can also investigate to determine if your TECH-2 can be used to do the reprogram. I think the last year their more advanced functionality is supported is 2013. I've never done any reprogramming myself, only fast adapts using my Snap On scan tool.
I just read up on it, as of 2021 you can't use the tech2 to program anymore. GM discontinued it from their online options.

I posted on a couple Facebook groups to see if anyone could help me locally, and a few people mentioned the 2007 with 2007 TEHCM won't work in a 2012. I haven't found anything else saying this, but I'd like to confirm before I blow $180 at the dealership tomorrow

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just read up on it, as of 2021 you can't use the tech2 to program anymore. GM discontinued it from their online options.

I posted on a couple Facebook groups to see if anyone could help me locally, and a few people mentioned the 2007 with 2007 TEHCM won't work in a 2012. I haven't found anything else saying this, but I'd like to confirm before I blow $180 at the dealership tomorrow
I would call the dealership service dept. They will be able to definitively tell you whether or not it's doable or not. Especially since you plan on taking it there, you want their position before you go.

My official position has always been that they are not interchageable, at least not without programming and possibly other adaptations (for ex, the output shafts are different lengths between 2007 and 2012) so that has to be taken into acct as well).

Let us know what the dealer tells you...

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on whether the powertrain in the vehicle is Gen4 or Gen5,
'vette went Gen5 before all the other vehicles ... you get the idea.
Gotcha, wasnt sure of exactly when support ended but sounds like the latest LT1/4 engines arent compatible...what is that, like three entirely different engines GM has produced with the same friggin RPO code, lol.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You will absolutely not be able to use a 2007 TEHCM in a 2012. The TEHCM has to be correct for the year and the valve body has to match the TEHCM. You need to use the entire 2012 valve body and TEHCM in your 2007 transmission but swap the speed sensors from the 2007 valve body. Since it’s already programmed to your truck, it’ll work without programming but you do need to reset the shift adapts pretty quickly.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
travisryan78