2022 Denali oil comsumption

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why does GM say that this rate of consumption only applies to vehicles under warranty? Are they implying that that the consumption increases when you hit 36K?
No clue, because the powertrain warranty goes much further than the listed 36k miles...also, if you open the bulletin, you will find that if you drive aggressively or loaded (either cargo or trailering), they say to expect more consumption.

Dkay51

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My '22 Denali 6.2 is using a quart of oil every 2000 miles. GM says this is within specs. Have to check oil often as not sure if it will get worse. Any suggestions.
I had the exact same issue with a 2021 Tahoe High Country. The first complaint I told the dealer to park the Tahoe and do not move and do not start it till I come back the next morning. When I got back to the dealership I asked the service advisor, there shop foreman, the GM of the dealership to stand behind the truck and tell me what they see and what they smell. I remote started and they were like turn it off cause it was puffing black, blue and clearly burning engine oil. It had a burning oil smell too. I was being shunned too and they measured the oil too and there was less than a litre of oil even when they drained it. That time I was at 2700 kms still fresh off the dealership lot. At 3200 they did an oil change with oil consumption test and by 3800 kms I was down to 2 litres. By 16000 kms they bought it back and I had to fight for it.

Look into the VIN for if anything was missed in production and check for missing gasket seals in the block.

I ended up going up the chain of command and blasted on social media to GM Canada and Detroit. Eventually I was loud and heard with a lawyer directing me. GM bought back my truck and I got a 2023 Yukon Denali Ultimate with a Duramax. It’s so good! Nothing can compare once you had an issue with a 6.2L burning engine oil and then Duramax is the way to go in my opinion and my experiences. I had a lot of mayhem in my situation but unfortunately if you are now having that issue, it will be a fight and maybe you may have lemon law out your way.

Marty_S

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No clue, because the powertrain warranty goes much further than the listed 36k miles...also, if you open the bulletin, you will find that if you drive aggressively or loaded (either cargo or trailering), they say to expect more consumption.
So I shouldn't worry about a quart every other fill up? 2003 with 175k on it. I do tend to drive too fast on roads leading to ranch and on ranch roads but save 'aggressive' mode for A4 TQ

Capital City

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine hasn't used any oil since the last oil change. maybe half a quart. Maybe.

JKeller

Reaction score
My 2021 6.2L has 65K miles on it. I have had it since 26k miles and run Amsoil 0w-30 weight oil. It burns little to no oil between changes and that is with quite a bit of towing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxandpj