Hard decision on which steering box to try next

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WWD III

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I need a steering box, can’t decide if I try a new Borgeson or send mine to blue top for a rebuild. I currently have an AGM steering box that’s never been right. Doesn’t matter they went out of business.

I swapped every moving front end part on the truck including adding a Cunningham shaft. Once I went through the steering I bought a Red Top. It was worse than the AGM box I have, sent the Red Top back. Couldn’t drive down the freeway.

So now I have to make a decision, new Borgeson or take the nice guy up at Blue Top that said they will rebuild my AGM box, fix it and tell me what’s wrong with it.

Yeah it’s a little cheaper having Blue Top rebuild my current gear. But it’s still rebuilt. My concern with the Borgeson, I know nothing about or can find’s reviews on 2 doors. I see lots of infor about dodge owners using Borgeson. I’m not worried about Warrenty, I want the best steering while driving I can get. I want it as close to when it rolled off dealer floor. I can’t find where I read it but I recall reading something saying the Borgeson box doesn’t hold tight center steer like a Saginaw box, but it didn’t mention what vehicle.

I know there are other options, Lares builds new boxes. I tried one of there rebuilds and it was loose as a goose.

My buddy that’s a dodge guy says buy the new Borgeson and ditch the rebuilt. I’ve had no good luck trying to fix my steering and I’ve had help from several good shops. Whatever I do next I want it to be the last.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of the new boxes the only one consistenly referred to in posts I've read is Blue Top. Heard mentioned Borgerson and Lares, but no definitive long term results posted AFAIK. Try calling customer service and asking a few questions. One being the Pittman arm shaft- I don't think even the GM rebuilds replace this part as I've replaced a few boxes up to three times to get a "working" box.
Look at your last 2 alignment specs to try and determine if you can add offset bushings to gain a bit more caster, as that will help reduce the slapping of the gear that wears them out.
Good Luck and please update your findings and decisions.

rzabel

Reaction score
Last October I put in a Blue Top when I replaced most of my front end parts to get rid of the sloppy steering. All the upgrades fixed it and I was really happy to have tight, solid steering. That only lasted a few months. In March, two days before I was going on a 6 week trip to Mexico towing a travel trailer, the output seal blew out on the Blue Top and I lost power steering and brakes. I limped to a shop and could only get a steering box from NAPA in time to keep my schedule. Replaced it and returned the Blue Top. Steering's a little looser, but the upgrade for durability didn't quite work out.

OP
OP
W

WWD III

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I got some pretty good feedback from one person on a 2 door Tahoe group I’m in on Facebook. One of the guys had really good success with Borgeson steering gear on both two dr and 4 door Tahoes. I may call Borgeson next week and get the right part number. I will think about it before I buy one. I want to make sure there are not other, better options.

K7KY

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently had ball joints and bearings replaced on our 99 Tahoe Basic 2dr 4x4 and realigned. Suspension is stock except for Hellwig rear stabilizer, missing from 2dr Basic. Next I replaced the original steering gear (179k/mi) with an Edelmann box & pump. I'm satisified with the improvement. It tracks perfectly without freeplay. I'd adjusted the original box twice with some improvement but couldn't eliminate freeplay without creating friction. Edelmann box requires a bit more effort than stock, but I think it's because I misordered, selecting on-road instead of off-road. I think their off-road box has factory ratio and on-road is a bit quicker. Now, I don't notice the increased effort and the Tahoe steers like new. New box comes with QC Force Characteristics graph, Steering Feel & Function Test, & Leak Test results.

OP
OP
W

WWD III

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I spoke with Borgeson last week. Interesting conversation. They only make on box, 12.7:1 ratio which is a 3 tun box in round numbers. Stock being 4 as I understand. I was told I would not have any problem with my 3.5-4 inch lift and 295”s running their box. He told me they had guys with larger tires than mine running their box just fine. He did tell me if my truck was jacked high running 38’s it would not be a good fit. He said it would turn quicker, more like a late model truck. I have a new rear sway bar I haven’t installed. In the next few weeks I’ll order a Borgeson box from Summit and install my sway bar. I’d guess at $467 with free shipping I won’t be to far off from a Blue top paying shipping and core shipping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmily8474

Latest posts