Low/No Oil Pressure After new Oil Pump Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...I have been cutting open oil filters for 40+ yrs and all oil filters have a metal perforated tube in their center.

Except, at least, for the ACDelco E-core filters.

Even still, I'd have to see the filter cut open to see if there's and damaged or missing filter media. I'd probably also have that gunk from the pickup screen analyzed.

savila5305

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
^^ I have no idea, my guess was just that something from the filter broke loose and made it to the screen. I tried looking for the filter i took out to open it up but i probably threw it away last week.

This is what was on the sceen. Im the only one that does the maintanance on it since i got the truck 14 years almost brand new.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Except, at least, for the ACDelco E-core filters.
I have to admit, I've never owned or cut open an E-core filter, I did a quik search and they do seem to be inferior and problematic.

Since their introduction, I try to only use Fram XG oil filters. When cut open it's easy to see that they are well built, like they're designed to take a 50 cal round :)

On my drag race engines I use the Wix R series. They don't filter as well, but they're less restrictive. Drag race engines get the oil changed often and have hi volume oil pumps.

savila5305

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Im having trouble uploading the image..
I just finished putting the truck back together and have good pressure now..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to admit, I've never owned or cut open an E-core filter, I did a quik search and they do seem to be inferior and problematic.

Since their introduction, I try to only use Fram XG oil filters. When cut open it's easy to see that they are well built, like they're designed to take a 50 cal round :)

The engineers may find that the E-cores are perfectly fine, but they don't give me the warm and safe feeling I get from the Fram XG (only Fram I'd buy) or WIX/Napa Gold.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I can almost say with certainty that stuff didn't come from a filter.

The oil leaves the oil pan/pump and goes through the filter before being pumped through the oil passages and bearings of the engine. If that stuff left the filter it most certainly would have plugged a bearings oil passage and destroyed a bearing long before it made it back to the pickup screen in the pan. IMO

OP
OP
nadthomas

nadthomas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well .....back on topic. I got the intake manifold pulled and the valley cover off this evening. I totally did not replace the o-rings in the valley cover, and they are pretty well compressed. I was hoping to see more signs of oil spay in the valley, or on the bottom of the cover. There was a little oil residue there, but its also been a couple of days since it was last ran, so its hard to say. It was actually cheaper to buy a new valley cover with o-rings then just buying new o-rings at $4-8 each. I should have them on Friday.

OP
OP
nadthomas

nadthomas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
01FormulaTA nailed. I replaced the valley cover orings and now I have lots of oil pressure. I'm glad I swapped to the lower pressure spring on the Melling 10355 oil pump. I'm seeing about 65-70psi at idle now.

01FormulaTA if you ever find yourself in the Columbus area I'll buy you a beer or 10. :thumbsup:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
01FormulaTA nailed. I replaced the valley cover orings and now I have lots of oil pressure. I'm glad I swapped to the lower pressure spring on the Melling 10355 oil pump. I'm seeing about 65-70psi at idle now.

01FormulaTA if you ever find yourself in the Columbus area I'll buy you a beer or 10. :thumbsup:

That's great news!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
XLYuKo