Oil Consumption - Solutions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vgreid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New to the site, have a 2007 Yukon XL with the 5.3. After a low mileage year last year (only 50k miles on her now), I seem to have caught the oil consumption bug (about a quart every 1500 miles, seems to go through more in 4cyl mode). With a longer work commute, I traded vehicles with the wifey and she used the Yukon around town, more short runs and stop and go traffic.

From what I have read, it seems as though the problem is a combination of carb buildup and excessive oil spray on the rings, and I have found many of the TSB's out there on the subject. I guess I contributed to the problem by letting the truck do more of the short runs I noted above.

I was wondering if anyone has been successful in resolving the issue without a tear down?

I was thinking about using a de-carb product like Techron in the gas to try to clean up the combusion chamber and top side of the rings, and use some Seafoam in the oil as I get closer to an oil change to see if that will loosen some of the sludge on the lower side of the rings.

Just wondering if anyone has had any success in resolving this problem and whether my approach is worth a shot.

Thanks

Vaughn

Last edited:

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
The dealership has some sort of cleaner where they put it in and let it soak for 2½ hours. They do this as the first step of the TSB. I'd talk to them and see if they are willing to help you considering this is a well known problem. My dealer took care of me even though I was out of warranty.

OP
OP
V

Vgreid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks. The dealer I bought it from went out of business. I'll try another to see if they can help. I imagine I will end p paying for it.

Did it work for you? If so, how did you prevent from recurring?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamesj82