Thinking about buying a used 13' Cadillac

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide if I want to buy this Escalade ESV Platinum. I am wanting more room for hauling kids, sports, camping ect. It's a pretty clean 127k miles. It also just had new lifters and push rods and an engine mount installed at the dealership so probably won't have to deal with lifter failure for a while? My only issue is they are asking 20k. I've really been looking for a 07-09 6.2 but just can't find any in decent shape. 20k seems like a lot for one this old. What do you all think?
Where that truck has spent its life is probably the most important factor. If it's a rust belt car you'd do better, for that money, flying to Arizona or someplace else warm/dry and driving one home. That said, they are without a doubt the best family hauler on the market.

Also, I just noticed that @j91z28d1 posted a really good item a few seconds before I posted my reply: if you buy it, get that torque converter changed out before it fails and takes the transmission with it. Take it to a good transmission shop and have them put in a TC with a billet cover and stronger lockup clutch. My local shop put a CVC BU60FHD in my 2012 and it's been great. About $1500 out the door and it's cheap insurance.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As with any vehicle, parts wear out, even beyond routine maintenance, and you replace them when the time comes. Since purchasing it (new to me) 4+ years ago at 125k miles, I've replaced the entire suspension in my 07 Yukon XL Denali, as well as the front differential and the front drive/CV shafts. I've replaced all of the belts and tensioners, and all of the water/cooling hoses. To me this is just routine replacement maintenance based upon mileage and wear. Sure, some dollars were involved in these repairs, but with no monthly finance payment, I am still WAY ahead on the accumulated cost of ownership for this truck.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all that said, and it helps if you can do at least some of the smaller jobs yourself. there's just something about these trucks, they cover miles and make road trips more effortless than most vehicles I've driven.

I don't tow much and only smaller stuff, but the guys seem to have good luck towing big campers too.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Not sure why but almost all the 09 Platinum are in the rough. The thing I’m starting to notice is fewer Platinum and Premium trim for sale.

Does it have dual tip exhaust?

13 & 14 is when GM really started to go head to head with Lexus & Merc. You’re paying for a Dräxlmaier German designed interior with brushed aluminum, walnut burl & olive ash dash finished in tahama leather with French seams everywhere.

The Navi is a HDD unit with active back up grid lines on the camera and the latest version of the 6L80 6 SP trans with hill start assist and hill descent control. It’s just an insane list of features like a/c & heated cup holders & multiple led headlamps and so on, and so on.

If it’s clean, grab it. Replacement z95 shocks are $3h ea but now guaranteed for life. Fit & finish on the platinum are unrivalled as well as tough. GM was the only one who set up their highest output 6.2L (de tuned Vette) motor to run on e85 back then. Every 8-9 days we fill that 31 gal Platinum tank for 75-$85 on e85 vs 175-$190 on 91 here in CA.

OP
OP
warndogg

warndogg

Reaction score
Not sure why but almost all the 09 Platinum are in the rough. The thing I’m starting to notice is fewer Platinum and Premium trim for sale.

Does it have dual tip exhaust?

13 & 14 is when GM really started to go head to head with Lexus & Merc. You’re paying for a Dräxlmaier German designed interior with brushed aluminum, walnut burl & olive ash dash finished in tahama leather with French seams everywhere.

The Navi is a HDD unit with active back up grid lines on the camera and the latest version of the 6L80 6 SP trans with hill start assist and hill descent control. It’s just an insane list of features like a/c & heated cup holders & multiple led headlamps and so on, and so on.

If it’s clean, grab it. Replacement z95 shocks are $3h ea but now guaranteed for life. Fit & finish on the platinum are unrivalled as well as tough. GM was the only one who set up their highest output 6.2L (de tuned Vette) motor to run on e85 back then. Every 8-9 days we fill that 31 gal Platinum tank for 75-$85 on e85 vs 175-$190 on 91 here in CA.
It doesn't have dual tip exhaust, but it is a Platinum. e85 is nice but not a lot of gas stations carry that here in Washington.

I'm still waiting to hear back about a test drive with the guy (private seller). So having lots of anxiety in meantime lol

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it AWD? Personally, not a fan of that powertrain. Combined with an AFM 6.2, and that's a ticking time bomb, IMHO.

My 2009 AWD Denali became a bit of a money pit after crossing 125k. Front axle halfshafts, front hubs/bearings, control arms, ball joints etc. Then the front diff shit the bed, and the AWD front diff is a special (harder to find and more expensive) compared to the 4wd models

I love the truck, but it's cost me. And then, of course, is body rust. Front bumper and both rear fenders have the cancer.

At least since it has the non-AFM L9H, I don't have to worry too much about the motor.

OP
OP
warndogg

warndogg

Reaction score

Is it AWD? Personally, not a fan of that powertrain. Combined with an AFM 6.2, and that's a ticking time bomb, IMHO.

My 2009 AWD Denali became a bit of a money pit after crossing 125k. Front axle halfshafts, front hubs/bearings, control arms, ball joints etc. Then the front diff shit the bed, and the AWD front diff is a special (harder to find and more expensive) compared to the 4wd models
Yes AWD, I know more features = more $$$ repairs. I appreciate these things also I realize nothing is guaranteed. My hope is since the AFM system components were recently replaced I can avoid any problems in the near future. I wish GM would make 'em last like the OBS and NBS stuff. I'm trying to purchase a family cruiser within my budget and I think this is my current best choice.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes AWD, I know more features = more $$$ repairs. I appreciate these things also I realize nothing is guaranteed. My hope is since the AFM system components were recently replaced I can avoid any problems in the near future. I wish GM would make 'em last like the OBS and NBS stuff. I'm trying to purchase a family cruiser within my budget and I think this is my current best choice.
I was initially under the impression that this was being sold by a dealership, which means you could most likely get a warranty attached in some form.
being private party, meh better try and talk them down. That's a lot of risk
my advice would be if they won't come down to a more reasonable price, then keep looking. extend your search into oregon and so-cal, maybe even texas. for that kind of money you can find something nice and with at least some warranty option. It doesn't cost that much to have it transported or fly and drive it home. Many of us have done this. Especially if what you want cannot be found local.
If you really like it, use diligence and give it a real good look over inside and out and underneath, use a flashlight, test EVERYTHING. anything you find even a tiny leak can be used to talk them down.
there is thread on the forum for what to look for when buying used. I would take the time to peruse the thread.

OP
OP
warndogg

warndogg

Reaction score
I was initially under the impression that this was being sold by a dealership, which means you could most likely get a warranty attached in some form.
being private party, meh better try and talk them down. That's a lot of risk
my advice would be if they won't come down to a more reasonable price, then keep looking. extend your search into oregon and so-cal, maybe even texas. for that kind of money you can find something nice and with at least some warranty option. It doesn't cost that much to have it transported or fly and drive it home. Many of us have done this. Especially if what you want cannot be found local.
If you really like it, use diligence and give it a real good look over inside and out and underneath, use a flashlight, test EVERYTHING. anything you find even a tiny leak can be used to talk them down.
there is thread on the forum for what to look for when buying used. I would take the time to peruse the thread.
Well that kinda makes me re-think this lol I appreciate the advice. I guess I was so stuck on the fact the AFM stuff was recently addressed, that I didn't consider some of these points. I may end up moving on anyway as the seller has been slow to respond ( using auto trader website). Kbb puts this value around 16.5 k , but the 20k price is consistent with what I have seen on carfax ect. online. Thanks for the response.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just for reference, here's just a 2min fb search for stuff like it down here. I don't pretend to know option details thou.

little more miles, but you'll have the money to put into repairs. honestly, 120k truck is going to need 80% of the repairs soon that a 170k truck needs. atleast you'd have the budget to get it fixed, and hopefully use the good parts recommended from guys here instead of just hoping it was done right and end up redoing it anyways.. like say they replaced a rear main seal that was leaking, but didn't know about the torque converter needing upgraded, now you gotta do 90% of the labor over again to get to the converter, which it was right there with their hands on it while doing the seal. have the money to proper delete the afm and never worry about it again, vs hoping the new lifters last a while. they were right there with the heads off, a little more to swap in a non afm cam, and turn off afm in the tune, either by the cheap 50$ way, or a nice black bear tune that has other benefits way. in the end, you're ahead of the curve

just a thought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k09viper