Transfer case may be shot??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cobbcfi

Reaction score
This is a new thread based on my other thread because that thread is no longer applicable, the rear-end and hub bearings are clear and working fine.

Upon crawling underneath the middle of the truck under the transfer case with the engine running in 2H drive 1 I can see the front drive shaft rolling around at the transfer case output shaft. I can move it at least 1/16" in all directions and it's definitely where the sound is coming from.

What has happened?

How I know what type of transfer case do I have?

What are my options? Repair/Replace

Do I have that dreaded busted snap ring?

Has the possible snap ring caused the T-case fluid to drain and ruined it?

I still have 4H because I used it to move the truck with the rear shaft out.

I still have reverse.

My 4x4 lights on the console don't work, I replaced the switch a while back and it didn't fix it.

This Yukon is my only means of transportation so please help me..

Last edited:

Phone Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the back of the xfer case is a round metal tag. It has all the info about your case and thats what you would need to get a replacement with.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
if you have push button auto4wd selection then based on year you likely have the nv246 t-case and the front shaft always spins. check fluid level color of fluid should be blue in color for an autotrac system. drain and fill plugs are on the backside of case near the front shaft center line. never heard of the dreaded snap ring issue and honestly don't see why it is mentioned when you are unsure of the tcase you have.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
get on and check the fluid level and type already. if red change it to proper type if still noisy then it will have to be opened up for inspection or call these guys for help. http://www.transfercases.com/

a video does not do it for you and there is no way one can diagnose it using that either.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cobbcfi

Reaction score
Drained it.. red in color on my finger, smells slightly burned and there wasn't enough in there to cover the bottom Folgers House Blend coffee jug, the one that's 6" diameter and 5.5" deep.. Didn't even cover the bottom. I haven't seen any leaks in the driveway or anywhere for that matter. I never would have thought T-case fluid. I did check and top off T-mission fluid but it wasnt really low.

I DID NOT find any metal shavings on the drain plug or in the jug, hoping for the best.

What kind of fluid do I get (the blue stuff) and can I get at local auto parts stores.

Also I cannot find the fluid fill hole??

Do I need a pump (like what you would use to pump fluid into an outboard lower unit on a boat engine) to get the fluid in?

I am going to get the stuff as soon as you let me know what and how much I need. Also do I need RTV for the Diff cover with the new gasket, or just use the gasket as is..

FINGERS CROSSED!!

---------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

All I can see on the back of the T-case at the top of the round plate is just the numbers "246 GM" I cant see any NV or anything, can I just use a screw driver and pop that plate off?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Leave plate alone. Fill plug is above and to side of drain. You did pull the drain AT the bottom right. Youbneed was is called autotrac II oil. Ask local stores or get from dealer. For rear if it is molded rubber gaskets then use as is. If not smear a little gasket sealer on it. Pump will be needed most likely.

OP
OP
C

cobbcfi

Reaction score
Drained it, was almost dry, less that 2oz of fluid came out.. Got the AutoTrack II from the dealer and filled it up. Filled up the rear-end as well. Took it out, still making noise but not as loud. Made a 15 mile trip and the back of my truck is covered in fluid. The fluid on the transfer case is on the passenger side of the transfer case, and the driver side is dry. Un-fortunately I thought the leak and the noise was coming from a worn front driveshaft bearing or seal. Thats not where it's coming from though. The fluid is all on the top and right side of the transfer case.

Any ideas where that the fluid may be leaking from?

Both fill and drain plug are tight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikemountain