0-60 in 14 seconds?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JRL1500

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2013 Suburban LT, no CEL, no other warning lights.

I've felt like the bus is running sluggish, struggles to get around traffic in the the passing zone (60-80), struggles to get up a hill, etc. Took it out yesterday, floored it, 0-60 in 14 seconds. From what I've read, that should be 7-9 seconds, depending on the source. Same powertrain as the Tahoe and the HP uses that for patrol...this definitely isn't running like something that could chase someone down on the highway. Changed the air filter the other day, cleaned the MAF sensor, haven't quite made it to the throttle body yet, but that's next.

Am I wrong, these should be faster than this, right? I know it weighs 3 tons but still... Bought this for a road trip vehicle, but wouldn't mind putting a camper or boat behind it on the odd occasion, thing doesn't feel like it would pull that.

I have an old code reader, haven't tried it since the CEL isn't on. Too old to do diagnostics with, not opposed to buying a newer one, just don't have one yet. Do have an AFM disabler in the OBD port, tried with/without, no difference in power. Slightly rough idle, nothing I'd normally worry about, seems that this model is kinda known for that. There any known gotchas that I should be looking for?

kbit

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yep, should be considerably faster than that for sure. I have the same thing. Keep digging you'll find something. I obviously don't know the history of yours but, maybe cats are clogged or melted.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2013 Suburban LT, no CEL, no other warning lights.

I've felt like the bus is running sluggish, struggles to get around traffic in the the passing zone (60-80), struggles to get up a hill, etc. Took it out yesterday, floored it, 0-60 in 14 seconds. From what I've read, that should be 7-9 seconds, depending on the source. Same powertrain as the Tahoe and the HP uses that for patrol...this definitely isn't running like something that could chase someone down on the highway. Changed the air filter the other day, cleaned the MAF sensor, haven't quite made it to the throttle body yet, but that's next.

Am I wrong, these should be faster than this, right? I know it weighs 3 tons but still... Bought this for a road trip vehicle, but wouldn't mind putting a camper or boat behind it on the odd occasion, thing doesn't feel like it would pull that.

I have an old code reader, haven't tried it since the CEL isn't on. Too old to do diagnostics with, not opposed to buying a newer one, just don't have one yet. Do have an AFM disabler in the OBD port, tried with/without, no difference in power. Slightly rough idle, nothing I'd normally worry about, seems that this model is kinda known for that. There any known gotchas that I should be looking for?
Need more info like mileage and maintenance that has or has not been done

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that sounds really slow. I would check the obvious things first, like tire pressure and hubs. Lift the truck on 4 jack stands, put it in Neutral and spin the tires by hand. Make sure brake calipers aren't dragging.

But more information such as history, number of owners, mileage, etc. helps too.

OP
OP
J

JRL1500

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Need more info like mileage and maintenance that has or has not been done
Wish I had more to give you, I've only owned the thing for going on 3 months. 145,000 on the clock. Best I can tell, it's been decently maintained, got some service records when I bought it but doesn't show much. Airbag recall, couple of full-services from the dealership, and an inspection before they put it on the lot. CarFax shows it was a fleet vehicle at some point, last owner was the Parts Mgr of the Chevy Dealership here, but he didn't keep it long.

OP
OP
J

JRL1500

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah, that sounds really slow. I would check the obvious things first, like tire pressure and hubs. Lift the truck on 4 jack stands, put it in Neutral and spin the tires by hand. Make sure brake calipers aren't dragging.

But more information such as history, number of owners, mileage, etc. helps too.
Think I'm the 4th owner, but that's based on CarFax and those aren't always accurate. 2WD, so no driveline to the front. Just had the brake pads changed, which doesn't rule out them dragging, but no noticeable difference before/after the brake job.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wish I had more to give you, I've only owned the thing for going on 3 months. 145,000 on the clock. Best I can tell, it's been decently maintained, got some service records when I bought it but doesn't show much. Airbag recall, couple of full-services from the dealership, and an inspection before they put it on the lot. CarFax shows it was a fleet vehicle at some point, last owner was the Parts Mgr of the Chevy Dealership here, but he didn't keep it long.
So basic things like plugs & wires? Air filter, clean maf, transmission service? That slow of a acceleration you should be able to feel if it is the engine or transmission. If not try putting it in 2!nd gear and see if that changes anything up to 60

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jakeha69