01 Front brake pad wear verses Rear.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gordy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did my brakes today new pads, and rotors. I knew the back ones were shot. When I got to the front there was very little wear. I used ceramic pads, and its been so long ago I dont even remember how many miles were on them, Alot.

I was always under the impression the fronts did the majority of the braking, but I do notice that my 05 2500 HD work truck the rears wear out first.

At any rate the front pads were so close to the new ones in thickness that I just swapped the rotors out even though the old ones were decent. Braking has always been good.

waxworkz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have an 01 suburban with almost 300K and have never changed the front breaks. i did the back a few months ago for the first time

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet my fronts would last a good long time, maybe not 300K's worth but very much longer than the rears!! I did a brake job a month ago for just the rears because they were absolutlely toast but the fronts still looked brand new from when I did it all 3 years ago!! And for the record and comparison reasons, I'm running OEM on my fronts and backs!

OP
OP
G

Gordy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
long time

Yeah Chris its been all of 3 years for me too.

Last edited:

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Count the 02 yukon in there as well. Rears done last year at 120k, fronts still over 60% at 140k miles. Don't tow all that much. stock config 5.3L FF with 4WD, not full time AWD. IIRC 06 they changed the brake proportioning so fronts wear out faster.

Sprayed8

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
would it be beneficial or even possible to install a proportioning valve to increase the front bias? I'm not really sure how it would work with the ABS system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgy